Main Menu does not come up

Hi,

I already googled and search the forums archive but could not find anything. Kind of weird as I thought this must have happed to anyone else as well. Anyway if I am just too silly to find the source, I apologize for to ask again ...

OK the problem is I installed vmware and there is no icon in the main menu. OK no problem I can make one with system > preferences > main menu. Just nothing comes up ..... I see the info in the task bar "starting main menu" but this disappears after a few seconds and thats it. Then I logged in as root and did the same thing, and voila, I have the editor. But logging in as normal user again, the changes are not there (clearly ;-) ) is there a way to get the main menu editor to show up for normal users?

Thanks

Thomas

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Try to run kmenuedit from a terminal-window and see if it gives any error.

Sorry I forgot to tell you I am using the gnome desktop. the k seems a kde thing?

Anyways Thanks for the suggestion I will try it tomorrow when I am sitting on the machine.

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Hm it looks no one has the same problem? It seems that only if I login as root I can change the menu but then loging back in as normal user the enu still doe snot appear. is there a way to let normal users have access to the main menu editor?

Hope some one has a solution thanks

Pelusa

When you installed vmware, did you run vmware-config.pl script?

Oh, you might need to add the normal user to the vmware group. Think I had this problem on another distro:

gpasswd -a username group

so maybe something like:

gpasswd -a ian vmware

for example.

Thanks I will try tonight your suggestion. I did not run vmware-config.pl, just vmware-install.pl as outlined in http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_server_mandriva_free2007

for Mandriva 2007.1 the button was there, but for 2008.0 it was not as it wasnot for 2006. the above site explains for 2006 that the button has to be added via the main menu that I cannot access. So Do I understand ti right as normal user I am not supposed to change the appearance of the applications? But as root I did not figure out either how to change it for all users not just for root.

Thanks already for your help!

Pelusa

It's not the icon as such but maybe that the user just doesn't have rights to run it. I had this sort of symptom on Gentoo, so slightly different, but I could run as root and not as standard user until I added to vmware group.