Wine or WIneX

I have a subscription to WIneX, and have the latest one so far haven't got much to work.

Anyway, I've heard HL counter strike works with WINE.

Once I apt-get install wine to the latest, what's the best way to setup wine?

I have a subscription to WIneX, and have the latest one so far haven't got much to work.

Anyway, I've heard HL counter strike works with WINE.

Once I apt-get install wine to the latest, what's the best way to setup wine?

I would recommend winesetuptk if it still works with the latest versions of Wine.

WineX is based on ReWind now, because Transgaming didn't like it that Wine didn't like it that Transgaming wouldn't contribute their code back and changed their license.

WineX has Direct3D support, as well as copy protection support and such, if you fork out money for their pre-built binaries.

Transgaming thinks that their technology is the best in the world, and they don't give any credit to the Wine project, which they initially ripped off. They tell people it will speed up cross-platform porting, but really, they have yet to actually port anything. If you look at their "ports" you'll see that you need to install a modified version of WineX to run the Win32 executable files.

Anyhow, Wine was, for a long time, faster than WineX at running OpenGL games because Wine would just pass the GL calls to GL, while WineX would translate the GL calls to GL and then pass them to GL. The only advantage to using WineX is for extra DirectX support. Even then, I don't think their commercial packages are worth the subscription fee, as you can just get the CVS code and use that. Back when I subscribed to WineX, the only difference between CVS and the subscription was supposed copy-protection support that didn't actually work, and the convenience of not having to compile it. However, through the combined efforts of people from MUB, we put together a tutorial on compiling WineX from CVS, so if you want to try it, go to my website. It's in the tutorial section.

Is there a winesetuptk for Mandrake or do I need to google for it?  SuSE use's it by default and it works pretty nice.

I don't use Mandrake, or Wine for that matter, so I don't really know. If not, you can just get the RPM from their website.

Thanks Dolson,

I forgot your a Debian user.  Hows that working out for you?

It's great. No problems with it so far.

I tried Gentoo on my spare hard drive, and I don't get any increase in my gaming performance, so I can't justify sticking with it. It boots faster, but everything else runs just fine in Debian. Maybe when I get a faster CPU...

Well Dolson,

I bought Libranet today and I'm about done downloading it. Will be giving Debian another Go, A little easier, but none the less up-to-date Debian that I have read from a couple differnet places seems to be a bit faster than MD.

I had Gentoo up the last couple of day's, but I'm tired of installing it and waiting for ever to get KDE or Gnome. or pretty much anything.

It is sweet the power and control you can have, but it doesn't speed up that much "WIth great power comes great responsibility!" (Spiderman's Uncle) :oops: Over the last year, I thrashed 2 (maybe 3) Gentoo systems up with some accidental screwups. With the time it takes to install, that gets old real fast. I probably should know better, but I human and make mistakes time and again.

Oh well, see you on the other side (DEBIAN) :arrow:

I tried Libranet 2.7, and I didn't like their tools and whatnot. If I knew more about Debian at the time, I may have been able to figure out how to get it to be just Debian.

If you don't like Libranet, realize that it may not be a true reflection of Debian.

I use Debian Sid, so most of my software is fairly new. :)