How many times does your linux-distro crash/month?.( cause?)

Michel

How many times does your linux-distro crash in a month??  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many times does your linux-distro crash in a month??

• 0 :)
    • <1
    • 1-3
    • 3-7
    • 7-15
    • >15????

Since installing gentoo - 0 crashes, but I used to get severe X crashes, similar to kmack, where everything was frozen, keyboard, mouse everything.

The only way to solve this was power down. As I say, this has yet to happen with gentoo, but when you consider how long it takes to install gentoo, you gotta expect something better!

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, guess I had a Gowator's Lvl 4 once (actually more but always the same til I finally started to remember what not to do), but might be some Lvl2+ kind of crash - don't know how to test it nor am interested :P

This is the 2-step howto crash my Mdk9.1:

1- Start a terminal from X. and start copying something to the floppy (I think it will work with any access to the floppy-drive really, but I will NOT test it!).

2- Switch to any other console (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F1).

Voilá! Can't do anything. Computer completelly FREEZES (that's what really happens), and that worrying floppy-drive access-noise that will never ever stop! :wall: Power-down button time :(

Other than that some ocasional lvl 0 (usually when trying a new app), and also had something between lvl 0 and lvl 1!

This lvl0-1 stuff isn't really X' fault, but any WM based on BlackBox I know (i.e. BlackBox of course, FluxBox, OpenBox2). But it's covered: just restart the WM - you can. And I also know what to do to prevent it: don't do

service network restart

from a terminal inside the WM, if eth0 didn't load on startup ('cause I forgot to turn on the modem! :oops: ). And also only happens if I use some network app like a browser or IM client... So, maybe a lvl0?

Anyway, it's a Notebook (Clevo) 2200C with Pentium III (Copermine) @866Mhz, 128Mb ram, 18Gb hd, blah blah running Mdk 9.1 (I don't remember any crash since my first linux install: Mdk 8.0). Windoze... [not] Me [thank you] well... one of the main reasons to switch to linux... :cheesy:

So my vote: <1

Edited by jeanackle

Never.

Except that one time I hit the scroll wheel by accident in GIMP and it scrolled the font measurement from 40pixels tper character to 40 inches. THis computer can't handle that :)

It probably woulda been fine if I left it for a little while but im impatient so i hit the power button. I know this can cause FS corruption, but Ctrl-Alt-Del, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace werent responding, nor were Ctrl-Alt-F1. I didnt know about SySreq at the tyme.

Thats the only ''crash'' i've had. Surprisingly again, Xserver hasnt ever really crashed 'spontaneiously'. Only when I do something stupid :D

iphitus

Sorry to double post, but look at the percentages on that poll

0 :) [ 19 ] [190.00%]

<1 [ 11 ] [110.00%]

1-3 [ 8 ] [80.00%]

3-7 [ 2 ] [20.00%]

7-15 [ 2 ] [20.00%]

>15???? [ 1 ] [10.00%]

Shouldnt they equal 100%?? Oh well, 190% for no crashes is good!!

I might add to above, is that i voted 0 and im running Debian Sid/Unstable which is a rock, never crashes.

At work, when the CD Rom was slave on the same cable as the HD, it crashed each time I wanted to access the CD Rom .. except at install time ??. After I've fixed that, it NEVER crashed.

At home I think never too. I've created an account for each of my 3 childrens and I feel secure letting them messing there home even more than there room :jester:

Of course I couldn't let them alone on the PC when I was win 98..

roland :thumbs:

X crashes, I blame it on the proprietary nvidia driver.

Usually I can logon to another computer and ssh into my machine, then kill X.

On my wife's machine X has crashed less than 10 times since sept 2002, she only uses linux. Once she actually complained about it, OOo but that's the same to her, and I just asked: how many times have you lost work due to a crash (which were quite common on win98se -- couple of times a month) -- and at that point the answer was: never.

My server has never crashed.

My workstation crashed a bit when I was still overclocking. Stability really is more important than 3% of speed increase...

It does give quite a few kernel panics if you're trying to iterate to the stable point on the edge.... :D

Anyway, haven't had a kernel panic since (or even before), have had a couple of X crashes this month.

Well, since were updating this....

nforce/nvidia All tha damned time, ittirated by using the enterprise kernel or my own.... damned annoying...

PCMCIA and Mandrake ALWAYS

PCMCIA and Deb based distro never yet!!!

XBOX/Deb ... Never (uptime is a few months now)

Server on SME Server 5.6 NEVER - Uptime 600 days + excepting a power failure and once changing the processor out....

Basically, once its stabe (I would say a week) it will never crash unless you change it or force it... but the first 24 hours is the critical part, esp. cron jobs etc...)