Gartner research

Pzatch

Guest Adriano

I can certainly think of a few times when they just got the money and said whatever MS wanted them to say... Especially in a "Windows vs Linux" comparison, featured on the Halloween Documents, IIRC. I had read the original release of this article... It stunk just as it does now, only fresher.

Guest JaseP

Well, as some of you know, they are now doing a similar type of thing with this new release of Windoze 2003 server, saying it's faster than SAMBA. The problems are that the systems are pretty much rigged as far as tests go, and the benchmarks are brand spankin' new... M$ has this habit of paying research firms to produce stacked deck research analysis for them. It'll take a few months to overcome this latest FUD.

Well.. seems like every company is like that. Especially since the company doing the testing is basically the subsidiary of zdlabs or something so that they always go to the highest bidder. It doesn't even mention that Win2k3 server doesn't have many apps.. even sql server doesn't work in win2k3. Now, I don't know about you, but a web server without a good database backing is not a real web server to me :)

Yeah, I agree with Adrianovaroli especially.

The Gartner group kinda started off good and gradually started slanting their market at Finance managers rather than IT professionals.

Its like the classic CISCO story (nothing against them) but they basically set out dominating the market with providing an IT solution then realised three components are needed for a real big sale (like a corporite WAN). You need the IT backing (certainly) but the backing of the finance Director and General Manager is critical. The CISCO stuff is OK technically but nothing special, they invested a lot in IOS and training which keeps techies in jobs but their real grainwave was providing financing packages and corporate presentations.

Gartner is aiming at the same group. When someone pays em to make a comment they play the tune they want. Its like being a successful busker or DJ. If you play the music you like you aren't doing what you were payed to do. You have to alter this to the taste of the audience OR they will just pay someone else to comment.

You can try and do this and keep your integrity and nearly pull it off. Some people are above all this like Alan Cox or Linus himself but its not the normal way of the world.

Anyone who hasn't read the Halloween stuff really should. You should be scared; very scared!

Also try the other writings of Eric S. Raymond... The most popular is 'The Cathedral and the Bazar' but the other stuff is good too. (arTee)

Once you read these you will realise that Microsoft sending spys to learn linux isn't important compared to the deliberate and maliceous corrupting of open standards by Microsft, soley to gain control over them and exclude other options. Neither is a small report by Gartner.

Windows 2003 Server faster than Samba? Again, it would be sad if it wasn't. SAMBA is great but the real point, is Win2003 Server faster than NFS3. SAMBA is just a workaround to allow people with 'legacy' OS's like windows to read a proper file system. That SAMBA did this faster and better than a Windows server would be astonishing were it not for the intrinsic limitations of windows in the first place.

I have an old box at work that reads at 100MB/sec and writes at 50. Its pretty old now and I could double the performance by upgrading to SCSI III and making a deeper stripe. (Running SW 0+1) Its also a real old box, just an old SUN E450, nothing special. Samba access is limited ONLY by the 100MB network the Windows PC's are on .... It would be pointless for it to go faster.

Show me a Win2003 server box and I'll show you it faster through Linux and NFS. But :

The point is its not a pissing contest on who's got the biggest ****. Like DragonMage says whats the point of having a server with no apps. What if Microsoft have a party and nobody comes ....

Well theyve been doing that for years!

So what matters is let me see a web server, with a database (like apart from personal home pages I'm with DragonMage on that). Actually if were talking Databases show me an MSWin anything SQLServer that can come close to oracle running on a Linux cluster.

These reports are for corporate IT managers and what corporate IT managers want to run is MS Office. (GENERALLY DON"T FLARE ME IF YOUR SMARTER THAN THEM). These are the same people giving me two hours to play on the web today (and every day) becuase my Windows machine is incapable of anything else when the antivirus runs. (This is for real) and they do this becuase an exchange server is cheaper for the company than (insert any UNIX/Linux mail prgram here).

God I rambled off topic ... Ill stop now.