Reinstall Mandriva?

Tomi Häsä

I think I may have done some stupid newbie mistake (or I'm wrong). Out of curiosity, I was using my Mandriva Linux One 2008 on my laptop to view how much my different Linux distribution installation discs take space (I have different installation versions of Ubuntu 7.04/7.10 including 64-bit versions, Mandriva Linux 2006 and openSUSE 10.3), and after a while Mandriva wanted to update itself. I think many lines in the update window said something like "...i586..." (but my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L7310GW laptop has a 32-bit Intel Celeron M 370 1.5 GHz processor), so maybe Mandriva started updating thinking it's some other distribution (a 64-bit one?) and now the screen is messed up. Should I reinstall Mandriva? I haven't had time to save any important Linux files to my laptop, so do I just boot the installation disc and use the partitions I have already created, or should I remove the Linux partitions (I have Windows installed also) and create new partitions from a scratch for Mandriva?

I found this from the Mandriva 2008.0 Errata:

"MandrivaUpdate installs packages from non-update repositories"

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...te_repositories

Could this be the same as my problem or is mine a different one? At least the screen capture on a related bug report mentions "i586" also.

Edited by Tomi Häsä

i586 in the package names means only that the package was compiled for Pentium class or above processors. So it's 32 bit.

You can use existing Linux partitions for a new install. You only have to delete or change them if you want to change their size or want to completely delete Linux.

That bug is important because you should add only the update repos first, update your system and then add any other repos you want. I don't know though if it's responsible for your screen.