localization problem [solved]

igotnoluck

hi all,

i have a weird problem and i don't know where to ask it so i will try here.

i'm now in the middle of completely moving to linux from windows and i have just one more annoying thing to overcome

i know how to install the hebrew keyboard and use it but i have the most annoying thing:

when i'm on hebrew layout i don't have any shortcuts like (Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v) and it does not bother me that much but know i'm trying to

write an OO document and i'm going crazy.

please help and sorry for thelong crying letter :)

:wall:

Edited by igotnoluck

Hi igotnoluck (nice name, BTW :) ),

Before I start, I have no solution for you (just don't want to waste your time). I have exactly the same problem. If the solution you're expecting is like in Windows, where no matter what language you use the OS still "remembers" the functionality of the special keys, I doubt it if it's possible. IMO you can do two things: change the combination from Ctrl+c to something else using the F-keys (say F3) by changing some preference file. I doubt if it's easy as I introduced it, and I'm not totally sure it's going to solve anything. The second thing you can do is change the combination of keys used for switching between languages through the MCC (Mandriva Control Center). This way you'll still have to go back to English every time you want to do Copy-Paste, but at least it will be as easy as possible.

It's probably best to wait for the experts, as my knowledge is quite poor. I'm also curious to hear if they have any creative idea for us.

Good luck!

Since the OOo shortcut keys are working fine for me, while I have switched to Greek keyboard, may I ask which way you switch keyboards?

If you use the KDE keyboard module, OOo (which isn't a KDE component) is rather unlikely to respond properly.

Better disable the KDE keyboard module completely, and alter your xorg settings- this way you can switch keyboard layout under any available desktop environment.

Probably it's deeper than that, and has something to do with the freebidi module, but since I never used right-to-left layouts I cannot give a definite tip.

• 1 month later...
not in a file but in the control center -> Regional & Accessibility -> Keyboard layout

when you choose a layout in the active layouts you have a command line in the lower part of the window.

I see. I guess you are using KDE. I'm using Gnome, and I don't have this command line. Thanks for sharing anyway.

• 3 weeks later...