Not your usual urpmi problem

Steve Scrimpshire

When I try to install something via urpmi, it tells me I have to install totally unrelated things. It even tells me that what I'm trying to install is not what I'm trying to install. Here's an example:

[root@localhost tmp]# urpmi --auto-select apt-0.5.5cnc3-1mdk.i586.rpm 

One of the following packages is needed to install proftpd-1.2.4-3rph:

1- lsbdev-1.0.0.1-1mdk

2- libncurses5-5.2-16mdk

What is your choice? (1-2)

Before I got this above example, it was telling me that:

One of the following packages is needed to install playmidi-X11-blahblahblah:

with the same choices as dependencies. I turns out that playmidi-X11 was the last thing I installed, but I don't recall having installed proftp recently, but maybe I have (I have a vague recollection of something needing proftp as a dependency recently). What is up with this? I tried deletin my __db* files and doing rpm --rebuilddb and rpm --initdb (not sure if that has anything to do with urpmi at all, though). Also, when searching for availibity for installable packages/dependencies, urpmi seems to only want to look in one source, even though I have several sources defined. I'm lost.

Guest anon

Why do you do urpmi --auto-select, and not just urpmi apt-0.5.5cnc3-1mdk.i586.rpm ?

As far as only looking in one place,Have you checked your /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file and skiplist file?

Does seem a bit screwy though, think i'd be tempted to remove all sources, and maybe even urpmi itself, then re-install it.

Because I've never been able to get it to actually do anything, unless I use the auto-select option. Without it, I just get 'Error: failed dependencies. Installation failed' (or something like that).

skip.list is empty and urpmi.cfg is:

dvd file://mnt/dvd/Mandrake/RPMS {

hdlist: hdlist.dvd.cz

with_hdlist: /mnt/dvd/Mandrake/base/hdlist1.cz

list: list.dvd

}

dvd2 file://mnt/dvd/Mandrake/RPMS2 {

hdlist: hdlist.dvd2.cz

with_hdlist: /mnt/dvd/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

list: list.dvd2

}

dvd4 file://mnt/dvd/Mandrake/RPMS4 {

hdlist: hdlist.dvd4.cz

with_hdlist: /mnt/dvd/Mandrake/base/hdlist4.cz

list: list.dvd4

}

main  {

hdlist: hdlist.main.cz

with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist.cz

list: list.main

}

plf  {

hdlist: hdlist.plf.cz

list: list.plf

}

rpmhelp  {

hdlist: hdlist.rpmhelp.cz

list: list.rpmhelp

}

updates  {

hdlist: hdlist.updates.cz

list: list.updates

ignore

modified

}

I've tried rearranging the order of it but that does no good. I've removed all sources and readded them, etc, etc. Guess I'll have to take the lazy man's way out and reinstall urpmi.

Guest anon

urpmi --auto-select is meant generally for updating bug fixes, security stuff etc. Its weird it won't work on its own. Before you re-install, try

urpmi urpmi

see if it can update itself and fix the problem, though you may have to add a cooker source to do this.

Guest anon
urpmi-1.7-14mdk

(I still have MDK 8.1...I'm on dialup, can't find a store that has MDK 9.0 or 9.1 and don't want to order over the net) :?

:shock: :shock: Bloody hell, urpmi 1.7-14mdk. That might explain it.!!

Send me your address by e-mail , i will burn MDK 9.1 CD1,2,3 and post them to you.

Guest anon

There you go Steve !! Ain't we a friendly lot here :lol:

I guess LiquidZoo in Utah is nearer to you than London, but my offer is still there. It must be your Birthday eh? :lol:

In case anyone else runs into this, it appears that ftp.ibiblio.org is been changed. I went fishing around on there site and it www.ibiblio.org get's redirected :

www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu

So if you use APT, change your /etc/apt/sources.list to

rpm http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/Linux/d...contrib/texstar apt/Mandrake updates texstar os

rpm-src http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/Linux/d...contrib/texstar apt/Mandrake updates texstar os

This is for MDK 9.1

Thanks,