Mandriva doesn't remain installed

Guest GPTNetworks

Guest GPTNetworks

Hello,

I am extremely new to installing operating systems, I purchased a dell sc440 server to host websites on, I've had this server since October and still have not figured out what to do to get it up and running properly. Finally after two months of it sitting here and collecting dust I got Ubuntu on it , the server edition, I didn't know what I was doing with the server edition so I installed the desktop edition, and now my main concern is not being able to get a internet connection.

I have a wifi adapter for my at&t modem box, it also has about 4 ethernet connections, so I have a yellow ethernet cord in my pc tower, and one going from my modem to server tower. I took my wifi adapter out of another pc and stuck it in my tower and it didn't connect to the web.

I have stuck the cd install disc in, it wouldnt read.

I have messed with the internet settings, nothing worked.

So I searched and found mandriva, and I installed it, and played around with it a little bit, love the desktop its really cool, however i went to reboot, and It went to a black screen and gave me options of operating systems I have installed on the server, it had ubuntu desktop and server edition, but mandriva was not on there.

So I had to reinstall mandriva, and i got it up and then went to reboot again, and same thing happened. So I reinstalled it again, and same thing happened, and needed reinstalled.

I don't know why it doesn't save on the system, does anybody know what may have caused this?

I used roxio cd burner software to burn it to disc. My default burner doesnt burn all the files, I did use nero to burn to disc for both ubuntu Os's and they both worked fine, but my nero expired it's trial version.

The only thing I can think of is It either limits the number of operating systems on the server, or it might be the cd burner software not burning everything to disc, however it was up and running just fine on the server, just didn't save to the harddrive.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mike

GPTNetworks

Hi.

I'm not an expert on servers (or linux), but I sure have a lot of idea installing them.

I've been runnning a server for more than 2 years without any problems and part of the way I learnes was by going to the howtoforge site and there I found a lot of stuff to get involved with servers...

The next link has everything to start with a new server installation from Zero:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_server_mandriva_2008.0

I must add that you need to be familiari with the command line, deploying a server is not the same as of being in a PC where you have all your desktop icons and graphics up and running, to have that kind of server, then you need to go to some place like xandros.com and buy the server edition (which is very expensive)

To have a server up and running in a hitch you will need to have your server and a desktop pc (or laptpp) so you do everything from your pc/laptop (where your graphic environment will be) if your are using windows in your pc then you will need a program like PuTTy (downlaod puttty.exe) to interact with your server or if you have linux then you can use SSH wich is installed by default in all linux distros.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatha...y/download.html

The last is to start learning linux and the command line, as this is the easiest way to deply it.

Kind Regards

Luis

The following is a little beyond my realm, but perhaps it will help.

Offhand it sounds to me like a problem with Grub. If you are using the Free version (not the One version), when you first boot up the DVD or CD, there should be some text that tells you how to boot from the DVD or CD but use the hard drive installation. At least it was like this with a Slackware CD that I used. I don't remember for sure with Mandriva. Anyway, what I had to do was type in some text that told the OS where to boot from. Once booted into Mandriva, you can possibly make changes to Grub or it's menu.list file.

I have to agree with the respondent who mentioned that it sounded like the writer was using mandriva one and not mandriva free.

a little explanation, mandriva ONE is designed to be a "live CD" that means that you can take that CD and put it in ANY pc reboot and work from linux without EVER touchin the hard drive or anything else. I have been told that you CAN install mandriva one to a hard drive, but I've never tried it so I cant recommend it.

mandriva free however is a FULL install of mandriva and it will make a full and complete installation onto your hard disk in one of several was, starting from a straightforward desktop to a full bore heavy PC.

There are a LOT of "live cd" versions of linux. One of the most famous used top be knoppix :wall: , which I never liked very much, and there are probably 10 differnt versions of mandriva live cd's and more livecd versions of UBUNUTU than that.

My personal suggestion is to download a copy of Mandriva Free, install it to your hard drive, and THEN go to the Master Control Center and have the software updater instal WEBMIN.

WEBMIN is an AMAZING graphical front end that will control a LOT of the "server" functions that mst people want to use, wothout having to use a specialized version of an OS like Xandros Server.

Typically you will find, that unless you are going to put it into a data room and have 100 people connecting, a regular desktop OS can provide all the "server" you need.

You can file serve, you can web serve you can host your own websites internally and your own MAIL if you want to!

Most "servers" are desktop PC's without all the "fancy stuff, no 3d desktop and no games. but you can do that yourself.

Oh yeah, also, for thr moment, I would stick with the 32bit versions of MDV. There hasnt been 100% complaince with the 64 bit OS, so there may be some things you want that may be missing.

I was in a pc shop yesterday buying a new case and a guy with more $ than brains comes in looking for a quad core pc for a new pc he wants to buy. Then he asks if it will run on the $64 motherboard from PC CHIPS that they had on sale!

Well not only did he buy the CPU, but the sales guy also talked him into Windows Vista 64 "because then you can access up to 128GB of ram" Now I am ALL about more memory.

but i dont know ANYONE who could afford 128GB opf ram and I am QUITE sure the $64 MB wouldnt support that.

Just my 3 cts.

J