good for nothing

Trgy

Yeah that s right, they are good for nothing all of them. No proper drivers and if you find them they probably wont work. That is of course if you manage to install them. This thing with being unable to do anything important without log on as a root, and this thing with k wallet popping up for password all the time, ant stuff like that. You can t even uninstall driver like a normal person, and when you do, and you install a new one, you must configure it through that stupid terminal. This is not for a normal people who need to do things, and need to do it fast. This is just for enthusiastic people who don t have anything better to do than configuring and patching and programming they stupid computers whole day over and over again, and after that to talk about it on forums like this. My opinion is Linux are good for nothing and it does not matter who s fault this is. Maybe it is great conspiracy between hardware manufactures and Microsoft, but guess what? I don t give a dam I need to use my computer with whole its features and i like to keep it simple. And something else, in those past few days I have been struggling wit this ubuntu, mandriva, open suse and fedora crap i learned one thing: PLUG AND PLAY RULES! I m going back to my vista, at least i will be able to print my documents listen to my music and receiving e mails without pulling my hear first. God riddance to ugly penguin!

[moved from Laptops by spinynorman]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somebody woke up in the wrong side of the bed? :unsure:

i am pretty sure i can do most of those things with linux but i do agree that people in this board are not normal. :lol2:

ciao!

Yea most of the things but probably not all. It s just too much time consuming. Any fool can setup windows with a little knowledge for a first time that is why they call it user friendly. I m using a windows now for more than 15-teen years and have seen some bad times but nothing bat like this linux experience. I know it s not linux fault but really who cares? It s free It s good 4 nothing It s linux. Vista ultimate is also free :D

Edited by Trgy

I noticed as I read all of that opening post

- When first getting my feet wet back in '00 with Linux I get pissed off and any given install would last for maybe four days and I would be back on windows, then I started grasping things on my own, I was also spending an hour at a time in it, not much at all.

- I am still trying to crack my brothers closed mind open on the matter. He still demands that all packages must be self contained and not need any dependancies, updating it is slow, and it does not look pretty or act like windows. Hello, welcome to an operating system that is NOT windows?

- When I started using linux full time, it was on my laptop, and everything works flawlessly.

- I left windows becuase I got fed up with the stability issues, and constantly having to fork over money for software that was not worth the money I bust my ass for, especialy becuase at the time my main source of income was loading an industrial washer all night

- on that note when I come home after loading that washer for eight hours, I wanted to use my computer, not settle in to defragment the hard drive, update drivers, scan for viruses, scan for spyware, update this and that, tune up the registry.

Pretty much I note this was how I felt when I first started exploring outside the "happy" comfort zone I had known for a long while in windows. Yet when i want to use my computer, I use it. A half hour if that is spent every two weeks to maintain it.

Odd, I've had no problems using Linux on desktops, laptops or servers for over three years now.

Vista is not free, of course I suppose we would expect anyone who says that to download illegally instead of pay for it! After all, you wouldn't pay for it would you? I'm sure you didn't tell Microsoft this, although soon they will know and then all your updates will be disabled as well as your system - oh and if you don't update, don't worry - a hacker will take advantage of your system. Good luck with your pirated version of Vista. From seeing a legal copy of it, all I can say is it's a pile of shite and Windows XP is better, hell, even Windows 2000 is better if you want a lighter system without being resource intensive.

Oh, ISP's might start to come down on illegal downloading, check locally in case your ISP - Iskon decides to do this. I know they are looking to start it in the UK, and it's already starting in Poland also. You might get caught with your illegal downloads!

Odd, I've had no problems using Linux on desktops, laptops or servers for over three years now.

Vista is not free, of course I suppose we would expect anyone who says that to download illegally instead of pay for it! After all, you wouldn't pay for it would you? I'm sure you didn't tell Microsoft this, although soon they will know and then all your updates will be disabled as well as your system - oh and if you don't update, don't worry - a hacker will take advantage of your system. Good luck with your pirated version of Vista. From seeing a legal copy of it, all I can say is it's a pile of shite and Windows XP is better, hell, even Windows 2000 is better if you want a lighter system without being resource intensive.

Oh, ISP's might start to come down on illegal downloading, check locally in case your ISP - Iskon decides to do this. I know they are looking to start it in the UK, and it's already starting in Poland also. You might get caught with your illegal downloads!

vista can be light also, all you need to do is spent a little time to turn of all the gadgets ant stuff you don t really need. At least all hardware is working with little or no effort. And certainly is worth of buying to, not so expensive when you see how much little time and nerves it will cost U. Linux are so safe because they are open code and that is not a challenge for any decent hacker :lol2: . and don t worry I bought my vista along wit my Toshiba laptop. They do come in package these days you know, and it really didn t cost me much. Another thing is that shortly after vista came out prices of RAM were really reduced so today you can buy 1Gb for peanuts. Nicest thing is that it will support up to 16Gb of RAM, so who really cares about windows spending lots of recourses. They are here to be spend :lol2:

Edited by Trgy

Actually, you're wrong on that. Because the code is opensource, doesn't mean it's any easier to hack. In fact, it's easier to get fixed since a lot of people work on it, instead of it being closed-source like Microsoft.

But, spend if you like, and enjoy your bloated Windows system - that will never, ever be as light as you think it might. Don't forget, turning something off you think might be safe to disable, actually will end up borking your Windows install. I don't need to do anything like that to get my Linux system working fast.

As you said before, any fool can install Windows - the thing is to actually make Windows safe and secure takes more than a fool!

As you said before, any fool can install Windows - the thing is to actually make Windows safe and secure takes more than a fool!

I know that and my windows are safe enough, but what I expect from any OS is that at least setting up a basic hardware is simple! so when I sad any fool can do it that Is what I meant. As for the windows security I don t relay on OS it self much. I just patch it regularly and for security I m using other various programs. I do believe that linux is working for you and that is just because you know what U are doing and I bet you spent a lot time on it at the first time. I m just saying that for first time users is to complicated. It s not user friendly at all

Edited by Trgy

February 25th:

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE IM NOT GETTING BACK ON MICROSOFT NO MATTER WHAT.

February 27th:

I m going back to my vista, at least i will be able to print my documents listen to my music and receiving e mails without pulling my hear (sic) first. God (sic) riddance to ugly penguin!

:popcorn:

For example I managed somehow to install my ati driver for x1200 card. Then i followed steps from ati manualls to initiate the driver through the terminal but it still wont work. I also somehow configured and initiated samba server and now I can connect to shared network folders through knetattach but i still cant browse computers in workgroup. I downloaded drivers for my hp deskjet 460 printer and when i connected it through usb it was recognized correctly and it printed so called test page but when i try to print some document it prints some bull and then empty pages are coming out. My sound card is not functioning at all, I'm running a crappy resolution with no 3d effects and nothing else seems to work properly. the worst thing is that I dont know which drivers I m using and which hardware is running generic drivers. I dont know hov to point to my second partition through terminal because it does not tell me on which drive I'm currently positioned (like in command prompt is says c: or d: so you know where U are. I did manage to point to my connected usb pen drive by yiping cd/drives mount point/folder.. but when I tried to do that for my second partition it didn't work. I changed mount point of that drive to media/something but still nothing. I guess that I'm suppose to read thousands of forums like this and manuals for hours to be able to use any distro of linux. currently im running open suse and it doesn't look so bad but I would rather like that it works

Edited by Trgy

February 25th:

February 27th:

:popcorn:

Well when you need to do your work daily and don't have a time to explore that much Microsoft don't seem bad at all. Currently i have about 600. pages manual to read for my cisco pix 506 firewall because my boss is to cheap to pay me cisco academy :lol2: Guess Ill just pay for it my self :thumbs:

You're ranting on and on and on about linux. Why? I'm no fan boy of any particular OS, I believe they all have their strengths and weaknesses. But to come on this forum and start ranting about it linux and its failures, how about ranting about YOUR failure to get it up and running. How about asking for some help, instead of running your mouth off. I'm no linux expert, never have been, and never will, doesn't mean I'm going to give up and whine when something ain't working as expected. If you want help how about you post this.

1. Make and Model

2. OS you're using or wanting to use

3. Hardware on your system

4. What exactly isn't working.

Maybe then, you'll get the answers you need, with the help of THIS COMMUNITY.

You're ranting on and on and on about linux. Why? I'm no fan boy of any particular OS, I believe they all have their strengths and weaknesses. But to come on this forum and start ranting about it linux and its failures, how about ranting about YOUR failure to get it up and running. How about asking for some help, instead of running your mouth off. I'm no linux expert, never have been, and never will, doesn't mean I'm going to give up and whine when something ain't working as expected. If you want help how about you post this.

1. Make and Model

2. OS you're using or wanting to use

3. Hardware on your system

4. What exactly isn't working.

Maybe then, you'll get the answers you need, with the help of THIS COMMUNITY.

You are probably right I just had to get it off my chest. If it was a windows we were talking about I would just wrote an e-mail to Microsoft support and tell them my opinion. As a matter a fact I do write to them and I m calling them on a phone also. Sometimes I get solutions for my problems and sometimes I'm just wining to them and then do it my self but I feel a lot better after that :lol2: well anyway i dint mean to offense any of U.

Edited by Trgy

I know that and my windows are safe enough, but what I expect from any OS is that at least setting up a basic hardware is simple! so when I sad any fool can do it that Is what I meant. As for the windows security I don t relay on OS it self much. I just patch it regularly and for security I m using other various programs. I do believe that linux is working for you and that is just because you know what U are doing and I bet you spent a lot time on it at the first time. I m just saying that for first time users is to complicated. It s not user friendly at all

Relying on programs for security is inherently flawed. Whilst firewall software helps, it's much better to use a hardware firewall - since the programs on your machine can become compromised. Therefore, if you're not using a hardware firewall, your system isn't as safe as you think it might be.

For example I managed somehow to install my ati driver for x1200 card. Then i followed steps from ati manualls to initiate the driver through the terminal but it still wont work.

Normally, I don't respond to this type of thread. However in this case, I was trying to help you with your video driver. You never answered my question in that thread, or told me you were still having problems, and I doubt that you read the info in the link that I suggested would help you.

So in your particular case, you didn't even try to help us to help you. I won't waste any of my time here debating Linux verses windows. So please go enjoy your windows, and maybe we'll see you later. :wave: