Alternatives to RedHat update?

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Ok, so I did'nt know wether to file this under "Other Linux Distros" (pop: 20) since my question IS regarding *another Linux distro* and maybe get a reply in a few weeks since that particular forum looks a little dusty from where I'm sitting -or- if I should file it under "Software" (pop: 8,000+), since it IS actually a software program I happen to be looking for (and one I understand can be used by just about any of the distros).

So alas...I have decided to take my chances and post my question here ;-)

Here's the question: I have been using RedHat 8.0 and 9.0 for some time now (MDK is just as cool but RH is my personal preference at the moment). From time to time I am prompted (via the red button in the lower-right corner of the screen) to update my system and this has never been a problem except more and more lately, I am having to re-register, re-verify my email address, fill out a poll, etc and then just when I get another email telling me that by filling out the RH poll I can expect another free 60 days of service, I then get another round or two of endless emails telling me that I never filled out the online poll and that I'd better hurry before it's too late. So I fill it out again and again and again and the emails keep coming until finally my account is terminated for "not filling out the poll"...whaaaaaaa???. Then I call RH up and they tell me to go into the terminal and reset my account and re-register (which I do) but the emails keep coming. It's like their whole system is experiencing a meltdown or something.

I should point out that it's not their fault and that they make a superb distro. Their tech support is also excellent. It's just that I am looking for a way to update my system without using the RH Network updater. I have filled out forms until I'm blue in the face and they probably know more about me know than I know about myself. I just want to find a little program that lets me know when a new update has come out and allows me to easily update my system without all the hassels I'm having to go through right now. Just a nice little RPM file I can install and use to keep my system up2date.

Does such a beast exist?...

Thanks

Guest greeneggs
Greeneggs!!! :lol:

Long time no see. 

Hows it going? How are the boys? :lol:

Oh yes, *those* boys. Well it's kind of a long story and a lot has happened since then and all the tests and doctors and...well...why don't you put on a really b-i-g pot of coffee and I'll tell you all about it :D

- The Dangling Gang

I am not sure about a non RH up2date service but I think this one should be close to what you want.

There is a distro called KRUD (Kevin's RedHat Uber Distribution). It basically tracks RH and adds updates and such.. The link is available here

http://www.tummy.com/krud/

Check it out, maybe it is the answer to your question.