Strange error during startup

liquidzoo

I think this is a hardware problem

I get this error that says

ldm_validate_partition_table ( ): Disk Read Failed

When I am booting up and if I don't enter in any login info right away. The first time I see it is during the startup when it says Finding Module Dependencies, and then again when it starts up CUPS

When I get the message at first, my Zip drive (USB 250) acts like it's being accessed. Nothing happens before I get it the second time (or third).

This is really bothering me. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything esle other than it's annoying. If someone has a clue where to start, I would be greatly appreciative.

Info on my system:

Biostar M7VIB Mobo

Amd Athlon 1000 Socket A

512 MB PC 2700 DDR RAM

NVidia GeForce 4 MX 440

80 GB Western Digital (Partitioned for Windows and share drives)

40 GB IBM Deskstar (Only for Linux)

Pioneer DVD ROM

GoldStar 24x10x40x CD-RW

SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer (The original one from line 5 years ago)

Lite-On 10/100 NIC

250 MB USB Zip

urpmf ldm

gives

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.13mdk/Documentation/ldm.txt

vi /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.13mdk/Documentation/ldm.txt

Overview

--------

Windows 2000 and XP use a new partitioning scheme.  It is a complete

replacement for the MSDOS style partitions.  It stores its information in a

1MiB journalled database at the end of the physical disk.  The size of

partitions is limited only by disk space.  The maximum number of partitions is

nearly 2000.

Any partitions created under the LDM are called "Dynamic Disks".  There are no

longer any primary or extended partitions.  Normal MSDOS style partitions are

now known as Basic Disks.

If you wish to use Spanned, Striped, Mirrored or RAID 5 Volumes, you must use

Dynamic Disks.  The journalling allows Windows to make changes to these

partitions and filesystems without the need to reboot.

Once the LDM driver has divided up the disk, you can use the MD driver to

assemble any multi-partition volumes, e.g.  Stripes, RAID5.

To prevent legacy applications from repartitioning the disk, the LDM creates a

dummy MSDOS partition containing one disk-sized partition.

Were you or are you using XP or Win2k? I don't use them but if I understand it correctly, it's another case of M$ doing something you know nothing about, without asking, don't need, and screwing you up in the process :wink: If you don't need it....I'd say don't worry about it.

I discovered, painfully, that winxpluck places data at the end of the partition. It prevented me recently from installing linux!!! :shock: So I had to install linux first, in order to partition the drive, remove lilo, install wnnie x pooh, reinstall lilo, and finally have a happy system. But I am not getting the error that you describe.

i don't think this is a windows-related problem. when i upgraded to 9.1 (as opposed to a clean install) i started getting this error message only when i started using 9.1's kernel. if go back to using the old 2.4.19 kernel from 9.0 then i don't get that message anymore.

Just to clarify, I am using 9.1 straight off the net. And, since I lost my /home partition that I had preserved since the beginning of time, or there abouts, I do not have any special changes installed.

The Mandrake partition tool could not shrink the windlessxp partition, and I saw what bvc has found; data at the end of the partition, which could not be moved.

I don't have a clue as to what is causing your error, I just know that it doesn't happen on my system. I do not have any zip devices. I have via vt400, nvidia video, maxtor drives, cdrom and cdrw, and soundblaster live.

I think its more likely to be a partition table error. Window's use to corrupt my table anytime I had linux on it. If diskdrake sees something that it doesn't understand or doesn't pass verification then it often refuses to do anything (good move!) Usually the best fix is to remove all your partitions, zero out your partition table, and re-create them from scratch.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that I have unpartitioned space on my master drive (the 80 GB one). I recently (like a day before I installed 9.1, maybe even same day) deleted a 10 gig partition and haven't recreated it, or put anything new in its place. I wanted to wait and see what I actually needed before I allocated the space in Windows and realized I wanted it in Linux, or vice versa. I don't reboot all that often, and it seems to only appear at boot; so I think I'll let it be for now.

ldm_validate_partition_table ( ): Disk Read Failed

is stemming from systems with either a zip drive or flash card readers (probally USB connected). As for a solution, I haven't found one... yet. A workaround is to leave a disk inside the drive on shutdown and rebooting.

I had another error message showing up ( insmod: sd_mod already exists) that I cleared up by unplugging my USB card reader, then booting without. Shutting down and boot with it plugged back in and a card inside.

As long as I keep a card in ( I knew I kept that bad card for a reason ) this message does not appear. The moment I boot without it, this message reappears.

I was gonna try and rework its line in fstab to find a fix, but haven't gotten to it yet. Plus I really don't think that's gonna fix it. Its gotta be in the kernel ( 2.4.21-0.13mdk to be exact ) and I am not into messing with that.