Could not open compressed ramdisk file mdkinst_stage2.bz2

Guest sebastien Dolbec

Guest sebastien Dolbec

Hello,

I'm trying to install Mandrake 9.1 on my computer on my second disk. My first hard drive contain windows XP and is bootable with windows XP. The second is currently bootable.

I create the first partion on my second hard Drive as ext2 and my second is my swap.

At the begining of the installation, before I can see the graphical part, I receive the message "Could not open compressed ramdisk file /tmp/Image/Mandrake/base/mdkinst_stage2.bz2" and usualy, the installation is aborted. But sometimes, I can continue but when I format the ext2 partition, I receive another error and I can't continue.

I tried to perform the installation on another computer and I didn't have this problem. The second computer have only one hard Drive

could someone help me??

Thanx!

Sebastien dolbec

Hi seb

Did you install on the other computer with the same cds?

Did you check the md5sum of isos before burning them? Here is how if you don't know --> http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4638

What are you system specs? Mobo, video card, cpu, hard drive, etc....

MOttS

Guest sebastien Dolbec

Yes, I installed the same cds on the other computer. I'd checked the iso and he's ok.

My first hard Drive it's a werstern Digital 20 g and my second it's a Maxtor 40 gig. My CD drive it's a HP. My first HD his master(WD) alone on the first IDE and my second (Maxtor) is master and he's connected with my CDROM which is a slave.

XP is install on the first HD. The first HD his bootable but not de second. I try to install mandrake on the first partition of my second HD (Maxtor) and my swap will follow.

I have a Mother board Asus, Geforce2 32mb, Atlon 1000mhz, 256 ram, realtek(network card).

Sebastien,

It sounds like two problems

1) problem reading the media (I have a similar one, did you buy it at FNAC?) Solution download

2) Not enough info but maybe you can get round this.

1st better safe than sorry.

Unplug the 1st disk and set the jumpers on the second to be a master. Maxtor usually have a diagram on them.

Any partitions etc which fail are at least limited to your 2nd disk ...

Boot into rescue, (F1 at graphic screen) kinda hard when it cant read the CD but I guess just keep trying. Once its read into memory you won't need that part again.

Now you can go to the console with the options but first let it scan and mount your partitions. It does this under /mnt automatically if you select the option.

Once your in the console do a loadkeys <your country code>>. seriously, you don't wanna screw up something by typing the wrong thing by mistake.

Now do a chroot /mnt

This makes the root directory to /mnt so its now /

If you don't do this you will have to manually add a path to get useful things like more or vi.

From here you can check your partition.

cfdisk is slightly friendlier but fdisk is more consistent ...

I'd try a fdisk /dev/hda.

Press the P to see your partitions (or not).

I'd probably delete them, especially if you had an error.

Now you need to recreate them ... you can use fdisk but cfdisk is easier. It defaults to /hda but you can pass it explicitly.

Create your partitions as you intended. I'd try 512mb of swap with your 256mb RAM but you could do more ...

Stick the rest as ext2 (or ext3).

Hopefully this time it saves your partition info.

(Im doing this from memory so give me a break)

You might (I think but im not sure) have to reboot now.

If you do then go thru the same routine ...

Now back in rescue with your partitions under /

You need to create a file system. mkfs /dev/hda1 should do the trick.

OK, now you have a root file system and swap configured.

Go thru the installation EXCEPT do NOT format any partitions. They are blank because you have just created them.

Hopefully exerything should procede as meant to .....

At this point you have a descision, diskdrake may or may not have problems writing your partitions in future and we made it pretty minimalsist (2 partitions).

If you try it be prepared to repeat the whole thing ....

Now you need to get the think dual booting.....

How is up to you...

You need to plug in your 1st disk again and reset the jumpers on the4 second. If you do this youll just boot into windows and drive D: will appear unformatted.

If you have partition magic you can use this to select the 2nd disk.

If you don't then you can use lilo or grub.

You need to boot into rescue (again) ... sorry.

This time you can try and reinstall boot loader. from rescue options. it should pick up the first disk as /hda1 and your linux disk as /hdb1

If not (and I'd check before another reboot) go back to console with loadkeys and chroot.

you can vi /etc/lilo.conf

It should have a vmlinuz entry in /hda1, this needs changing to /hdb1

You should also have a windows entry, if not you can create it, try a man on lilo.conf (sorry no time right now but its striaght forward)

After youve run it (and supposing you did a chroot) you can just type lilo.

It should tell you its stuck in the two options et viola.

Good look.

Guest sebastien Dolbec

Thank you all. I resolve my problem. For an unkown reason, my CD-ROM drive cause some problems with linux. I take the cd-rom drive of my room mate and I didn't have much trouble to install Mandrake.

It's seems that my cd drive is not working on mandrake.. I don't know why because his working fine with windows, any way...

but now I have proble with my sound card.... My sound card is not working. It's a standard sound blaster live! 5.1 but I tried the two drivers that was seems avalaible (audigy and EMU10K1) but none of them have worked...

Do you have any idea?

Depending of which desktop environment you are using (KDE, Gnome or whatever), clic the 'start' menu and browse the menu looking for 'Aumix'. Or open a console and type 'aumix' (without the quote) in it. Play with that mixer (read pump up the volume).. that should work really.

MOttS