Updating MandrivaOne breaks X [solved]

wahur

Hi!

Specs:

Pentium D 2,8 GHz, 1GB memory, NVIDIA Geforce 7300 GT

Already running WinXP Pro.

Installed Mandriva One, using /boot, / and /home partitions, altogether with swap about 20GB.

I need Estonian locale that is not available on the cd, so installed et packages and removed all the rest locale packages.

Installed virtualbox. Everything working nice. Installed samba and while trying to get it to work disabled shorewall and mandi services.

Then made a stupid move - went for mde packages, wanting to get newer vbox and OOo.

Set it updating everything and went to sleep.

Next morning discovered 2 new desktop kernels in grub menu and whichever I choose, X would not start, syslog would show multiple probs with vbox and shorewall.

Went for reinstall. (/boot also reformated). All the same routine - change locale packages, this time no mde repositories, delete all kde-related folders in /home. Install everything I need, works fine (some probs with samba, but thats another story). Update packages. In the morning - exactly the same thing. strange new kernels in grub, and X wont start. Boot sequence stops at starting mandi, when I hit enter it completes and gives me command line login prompt, starting X manually gives some generic error message (like "connection refused").

So whats bugging it? Everything seems to work nicely until updates.

Wahur

Edited by wahur

OK, nobody seems to answer, so I reformulate the Q.

I found following in the errata:

10.2 MandrivaUpdate installs packages from non-update repositories

I tried to install the stuff and then update.

Does this errata item say, that I should update first, BEFORE even adding any other repo?

And only then can rest of the needed software be installed safely? And if proceeded otherwise it will somehow stick something unnecessary and/or harmful (like extra kernel) into my setup, rendering it useless?

Please, anyone knowledgeable, confirm or deny.

And then next Q. If problem above is the cause of my problems, is there any quick fix or is another reinstall my fastest option?

Wahur

That sounds like bug# 34141. Here's the fix in the Mandriva/2008.0/Errata:

Graphical_environment_fails_to_start_or_fails_to_work_properly

Thanks Greg, that solved it and my Mandriva is running OK now.

I noticed the bug in errata, but somehow had the impression that it influenced only ATI. Dunno why.

Wahur, soon back with other problems ;)