Creating .bin files or .run files

Relic2K

I am not sure if this belongs in this forum or not, but technically it is game related. I have all of the Data files for UT SF 1.80 downloaded and all set to create my own installer vice using 1.60 and then patching up from there. Now my question is, how exactly do I go about creating a ".tar.gz" file of the files, so that when I run the installer it will extract them to where they are suppose to go and with the proper permissions ? And secondly, how do I further create the ".bin" or ".run" file so that I have one big executable ? I hope some one can answer these for me. I don't want to bother Icculus or Ravage with these questions because I know they are quite busy.

Guest anon

Not sure about .run files but, for tar, assuming you have tar and gzip installed:

Type 'tar czf archive.tar.gz folder1 file2 file3 etc, etc.

The z option, is only needed if you want to compress the files.(gunzip)

Not sure about .run files but, for tar, assuming you have tar and gzip installed:

Type 'tar czf archive.tar.gz folder1 file2 file3 etc, etc.

The z option, is only needed if you want to compress the files.(gunzip)

Thanks anon. I actually already had that down to a art, what I want to know is that when I compress them, should root have permissions on the archives ? I have them in my home directory now for example;

/home/relic2k/temp/ut/Strikeforce

/home/relic2k/temp/ut/Sounds

/home/relic2k/temp/ut/System

/home/relic2k/temp/ut/Help

So when I run the tar command, should I be root ? Since technically that is who has to install the MOD initially. Just like any other game, or installer.

Thanks for the input DOlson, I already have a few binders with LGP info, I pretty much have the setup.xml and all the files configured and working fine, I am only have probs with the install, root can't do the install and yet the installer works as users.

I have an SF 1.81 installer :)

How come everyone has an installer for this UT MOD yet Strike-Force.net doesn't ? They should have one for download there so that us linux users can play online as well ? How come it is not on your site Ravage ?

it's 377mb, that's why it's not on my site.

Ravage;

How did you create the .sh, .bin,.run out of all the data files ? I would like to get it down to 1 single file, then burn it to CD. I have never created those before. Is there a specific program in linux that does this ? Thanks.

• 3 months later...