Wifi signal 60% max

Guest SimonH

I've got an Acer laptop with an atheros wifi card built in. If i place the laptop next to my router the signal only displays a maximum signal of 60%. However when i go back to windows it goes up to 100%. It seems the signal strenght isn't right in Mandriva. Can i alter this so it displays properly?. If so how do i do it?

I tried it with a different router too and i got the same result.

Thanks

Simon

Edited by SimonH

The signal drops altogether if i go into another room. With windows it still displays 80%

Perhaps have a crack at using the madwifi driver for your Atheros card. For Atheros cards you really only have two options - madwifi and ndiswrapper. There's no native drivers from them as far as I remember, and I've never had anything else work with my Atheros cards than either of these.

Or if you're using the madwifi driver now, then change to ndiswrapper. I never really got much success with madwifi, but others have it working.

I've got the win XP driver for my wifi card but when i try to install it via the Mandriva control centre i get the following message. "Unable to find the ndiswrapper interface"

Any ideas?

The ndiswrapper wiki gives you a good guide to follow to get it installed. You will have to use:

lspci

from a command prompt to find out the PCI-ID of your Atheros card. Then you'll have to check it against the ndiswrapper wiki database to find a good match. Then it will tell you which driver you should be using for your card. It's not always a case of using the Windows XP driver by default - although in my case, this has always been enough for me.

Try madwifi first, and go for ndiswrapper if you get nothing with madwifi. But follow the ndiswrapper wiki for installation. You don't need to follow the compile notes, since you've installed the Mandriva packages, but the instructions for installing the driver and going from there are what is most important. As I said though, try madwifi first if you haven't already.