wireless login problem in Mandriva 2008

kalac

Hello @ all !

I have following problem:

I'm trying to connect to wireless hotspot in hotel with Mandriva linux 2008. nevermind the distribution (tried kubuntu 7.10 and openSuSE 10.3), every linux I tried heve the same problem.

I have installed drivers for my Realtek rtl8187b wireless card, brught it up with wlan0up and wlan0dhcp scripts provided from REaltek, get the login screen, enter username and password (which is correct of course), and puff I am redirected to login screen again. I cannot acces any external adress, just that stupid screen. Little icon in system tray says that I'm connected to network.

On windows vista everything was configured with DHCP, no encryption, and everything was autaomatic. Tried the same setup on Mandriva, but it doesn't work. Best result was that stupid login screen. Every other method of configuration leads to lost of connection.

What to do?

Now i cannot even get my wlan0 interface up. I did rmmod rtl8187 and insmod rtl8187 again but no luck. Now it says wlan0: nu such device or something like that.

I'll find some ethernet connection and try to update system.

Any suggestions for login screen problem? All my friends who use linux with wireless had no problems with login (Intel wireless cards)

Can you be more specific about the "some kind of errors"? Please post exactly what they are.

Also, if you check the ndiswrapper wiki, it's best to use lspci to identify your card and it's PCI-ID, and then find the driver that is meant to work best with it. It's not always clear-cut that you should use a Windows ME or even Windows XP driver for your card. The wiki usually recommends which one, and which version is best.

Try to get back to the situation you were in to begin with. If you had a log in screen, presumably you WERE connected wirelessly, just not logged in to the hotels system... If this was the case, and you can get back there, don't touch any of the wireless stuff!

You can confirm this at the command line with ifconfig as root - if you have an IP address for your wireless adapter, your wireless is working and you need to think about the login problem only. You may also want to try connecting to an open network to check too, if you can.

Most common reasons for being dumped back to a login screen are either wrong user/pass or browser rejecting cookies. Just to be sure, try downloading Opera (assuming you've got an Internet connection...)

Also, have you asked for an alternate username and password, just in case the one you have is not set up on the system - it does happen.

Well it is hard to remember what kind of errors I get because if I want to post on forum I have to restart to windows.

Anyway these are errors that I get when running ./wlan0up script provided from realtek:

This is when I did rmmod command:

error inserting 'ieee80211_crypt-rtl.ko': -1 Invalid module format

error inserting 'ieee80211_crypt_wep-rtl.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

error inserting 'ieee80211_crypt_tkip-rtl.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

error inserting 'ieee80211_crypt_ccmp-rtl.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

error inserting 'ieee80211-rtl.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

error inserting 'r8187.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

You give up so easily! :o

OK, if that is what you prefer. If you're not going to attempt to get it working then fine, Linux definitely isn't for you. Oh, I've used Linux as my desktop for the last three years - and quite a lot of people here do. So it definitely is usable.

But I think you'd be better off with Windows.

I was using Mandriva for years on my desktop computer (and still use it) and everything was perfect, but recently I bought toshiba A210-15J laptop. Only problem is no sound and no wireless. But I never managed sound to work, and had great problems with wireless. I am not beginner in linux and I used almost all popular distributions (ubuntu, suse, mandriva, fedora) , but my laptop is refusing any attempt to fix sound or wireless problems.

I give up because I am losing a lot of time on reading posts and posting, then restart to try to fix mandriva, and then restart again to post results. It is not easy when you must boot up to vista (damn slow boot time) several times.

There is every chance we can get it working, but I can understand if you're not wanting to waste any more time on it. I also had a new Toshiba laptop at the beginning of last year and didn't have sound for six months but then I did solve the problem. dmesg helped me with this as well as /var/log/messages because I checked here for errors.

Maybe try again later when you have some more time to figure it out.

• 2 months later...

I am reopening this old thread, because I have found out the hard way that there is only ONE way to make the dreaded RTL8187 work under Linux... and by the way I'm sorry for my false suggestions HERE

Both the old 8187 driver, as well as the one in kernels 2.6.24+ is terribly unstable- it just hangs whenever things get moderately tough, and it's a real pain to bring the interface back. SLH (the guy who is the leader of the Sidux team) has hinted that kernel 2.6.25 would bring a major change to the driver sensing code, and with it more stability. However, I tried kernel 2.6.25 under Arch Linux on a fairly cheap chinese subnotebook with that chip on, and I can hardly see any improvement over the previous revisions.

The only way to get acceptable performance from RTL 8187 wifi, is ndiswrapper with the W98 Driver - end of story. Maybe the opensource driver will get better by the time (although the Sourceforge project does not seem terribly active), but ATM it's next to unusable- factly, I cannot understand how it found its way into the mainstream kernel.

Realtek does not have the W98 driver at their site, but you can grab it from Majorgeeks (it is labelled as "Realtek RTL8187 USB Wireless LAN (ME/2000/XP) 1.221" but actually the W98 driver is included as well...

So far, it works decently here- maybe not full speed, but stable enough, even when the interface is managing fragmented packets from both the host and a VirtualBox guest in NAT mode, or torrent downloads.

Edited by scarecrow