Can't locate module fb0

william

That's the message I get during booting time to run mandrake 9.1 on my computer. (compaq pressario 1700T with windows xp pro installed NTFS)

Installation process was fine (no error messages, all hardware devices recognized and automatic HD partition), but unfortunately up to now I haven't been able to run the OS.

That's the second time I try to have linux installed on my computer, the first attempt was 1 week ago with Red Hat distribution, but unfortunately it didn't recognize my network adapter (compaq 10_100 mini pci ethernet nic).

Does anyone here know what is going on? Please, give me some help. :cry:

What is your problem(s)?

Is the problem related to the title (fb0) at all?

What is the error?

Do you get a prompt when you boot your computer asking you which OS to boot (Windows or Linux)?

Gimme some info .. :unsure:

MOttS

I've seen that error often, but it never seems to actually cause any problems. I would guess that something is trying to modprobe the frame buffer driver, and either you don't have that as a module or it's compiled into the kernel. Are you getting any boot messages, service starts, etc? Or just a blank screen?

--Andrew

I do get a prompt to choose between windows and linux.

The computer gets stuck since this message appears during booting time:

modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module fb0

finding module dependencies:

That's it, despite having linux installed on it, I'm not able to start the OS.

Can you try starting in failsafe, and see how far it gets? Also, I think fb0 is the frame buffer (video card). There is probably a command to disable it at boot, but I forget it, and I'm at work, so perhaps someone else can help you there.

--Andrew

I'm doing this from memory, so I hope it works :-)

When you get to the lilo screen, press escape. That will take you to the text prompt. Press tab. That will show the options - windows, linux, etc. I'm guessing you want linux. Type:

linux vga=ask

and press enter. That should bring up another menu. I think you want mode 0 (0x80) or something like that. That should ensure that MDK isn't trying to switch to the FB console at boot. It may not make a difference, but it's worth a try.

What kind of video card do you have?

--Andrew

modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module fb0

unmounting initrd: [ok]

configuring kernel parameters: [ok]

setting clock(itc): sun may 11 09:46:34 BRT 2003 [ok]

loading default key map: [ok]

setting host name local host: [ok]

initializing usb controller (usb-uhci) [ok]

mount usb filesystem [ok]

checking root filesystem [ok]

/dev/hda5, clean, 86657/700384files,314993/1400482 blocks

remounting root filesystem in read write mode [ok]

activating swap partitions

finding module dependencies:_

Andrew:

Thanks for your inputs. Please, consider the fact that I'm a linux begginer and maybe the given error description was not the most adequate to the situation. Notice the last bold line. This is the problem ....finding module dependencies, the computer gets stuck at this point.

I've tried your suggestion but still with no sucess.

My video information:

Adapter: ati rage mobility M1 (compaq)

1024 by 768, true color (32), 60 hertz

thanks.

This may sound stupid, but how fast is your computer? How long are you waiting before you force a reboot? My Celeron 433 takes ~30 seconds at that step.

Looking at your output, it seems that it might not be a problem with fb0... perhaps some other module is causing problems.

Are you hard-rebooting, or using CTRL-ALT-DEL?

Look on this board for info on how to boot into runlevel 1. That is single-user, root only. If that works, then we have a place to start at.

To reboot from the console, type reboot :-). Shutdown is shutdown -h now.

--Andrew

Andrew, MottSs and anon:

Thank you very much for your kindly attention. My Computer is a Pentium III 866Mhz. (a genuine compaq presario 1700T). Unfortunately, as a linux new user, I've installed the whole OS for more 5 times and at this moment I am in front of my laptop, just writing down these words on the internet with Galeon 1.3.3 browser. (The OS recognized my COMPAQ 10_100 Mini PCI Ethernet NIC, what made me very glad....

There are some minor points that I will have to look up:

Screen / monitor: when loggin out to change user, it flickers and suddenly gets stable, I am not sure if it is a problem of screen resolution or monitor, I will have to check.

Modem : not recognized , it is not important

Keyboard: despite being US International, it is not OK, backspace doesnt work.

Soud Blaster Creative: not sure if the system will recognize

Zip Drive 750 Iomega: not sure if the system will recognize

Genius Scanner: not sure if the system will recognize

Actually I do not know what happened, problably a wrong choice in configuration steps during installation process. That is the point, what really causes the problem? Which problem? Get stucked during booting time? type control c ... ok it worked, but after this there were a bunch of problems that I went to a bookstore and got a linux book for dummies, what at least gave some offline support.

Now I am sure to be ready for being introduced to the linux world. It is a pleasure to be on the same boat with all of you who has left any imput here.

Regards.

William

a new linux laptop user

On logout, the X usually restarts, causing the flicker. It's normal, don't worry about it :-)

Is you modem a Winmodem? I'm pretty sure that MDK supports winmodems, just make sure to use the Network Connection Wizard (it's in the MDK Control Center, different than the KDE control center)

Perhaps you should post your keyboard problem in the Laptop forum. I (unfortunately) don't have one to test on.

Soundblaster should work automatically. You can look under hardware in the MDK control center, and it should list it. Try playing some mp3's in XMMS (winamp 2 like mp3 player). I've never had a problem with any creative cards under Mandrake.

Zip: Is it parallel or USB? Makes a big difference, but I think they will both work.

Scanner: I think MDK only supports USB scanners, but I'm not sure. Try ScannerDrake in the Control Center.

Glad to know that your system now boots :-) Make sure to look at other posts on URPMI, texstar/plf, fonts, etc. There is a lot of great info on this board :-)

--Andrew