2.5.69 success on 9.1 generic installation!

I'm amazed! I finally had success is getting 2.5.69 to boot with a generic 9.1

installation! Forgot to compile in ppp, so I'm re-doing it, and I'll post

back when I'm done. It's definitely faster and snappier.There are still other

problems, like I can't access MCC or anything that needs root from the kde

GUI (command line as root works), and the shutdown hangs with a weird bluish horizonal lined screened, but all Apps and my Radeon 9000 Pro video card 3d seem to work fine as user.

Anyway, for an amateur like myself this is major progress after many months googling, posting to groups and forums, endless 2.5.xx kernel compiles and trials, and head-banging/ hair pulling! I figure now I can get to some fine tuning, and gradually add things back into this stripped down version of 2.5.69.

UPDATE: Recompiled with ppp stuff in, and I'm on the internet with 2.5.69 as I type. If anyone can give me some pointers about the above mentioned problems, please post. I'll probably run into more broken things, but so far, so good! At least now I know I'm not hopelessly incompetent.

If anyone is interested, I can post a brief rundown of how I did it, and a copy of my 2.5.69 .config file for reference.

wrc1944 (Robert Crawford) :D

After my initial impressions, and as I predicted, I seem to be having other issues beyond the two I mentioned. Kde apps (among others) seem to have problems saving things, and/or take forever to open. Opening multiple windows of say kedit, seems to cause weird blank windows and temporary hangs, but then up to three minutes later, they sudden pop up, or complete the requested action. I just tried to send an email with kmail, and it took 2 minutes. When I first noticed the kde issues, I tried to open gedit, and save something in it, but it seeming never opened, so I went on. Then 4 minutes or so later, it suddenly popped open out of nowhere. So apparently it isn't entirely a kde problem.Same deal on saving something in kedit- the save as dialog box suddenly pops up ready to save 5 minutes after I gave up on it.

Other than these issues, it seems at least as fast and responsive as the mm 2.4.21 on the internet, but of course these problems I'm having make 2.5.69 unsuable at the present. If I can get advice about fixing this, it would be great- I just am not sure I have enough knowledge to track it down by myself- but I'm only a few hours into using it, so who knows?.

wrc1944