General layout config question

Ixthusdan

I have a client who has been using an elaborate router to authenticate their wifi. I am installing a server in their office, along with some networked programs, so that they have a better handle on their daily operations. The servier will also handle vpn, as I am using the wifi to connect the work stations in the park to the office. My question is, should I have a separate ip for the server or should I set the router for a pass-thru for the vpn? The router has the capacity for a public/private network setup, but I have always made vpn servers have their own public ip. Any thoughts?

Is your dhcp server in the router, then? Or do you use fixed addresses?

The reason I am asking is I think that I want the server to run the office network including remote locations, but the router is running the wifi.

This can depend how you're setting it up.

If you're firewall isn't providing you with the VPN connection and IP address, and that the server is doing it, then yes, you would want to put DHCP on the server running VPN. Alternatively, if you already have a DHCP server, then you'd use this. The router should still be able to pass the DHCP from the server to the wifi clients. If you're using DHCP on the router, then ensure the router will provide the IP address for the VPN server. However, normally I tend to reserve a range for VPN IP addresses and ensure these are provided by the VPN server.

However, usually when I'm doing it, it's either the firewall providing it, or the SSL-VPN device. But the principles are the same for your setup.