Mandriva2008_Spring-beta2

AussieJohn

Has any one been able to boot up the beta 2 ???.

I had no problems booting up beta1.

The whole Grub menulist for the beta2 (which is the second SATA drive) is entirely different as you can see below :-

title Mandriva2008-Spring-beta2

kernel (hd2,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva2008-Spring-beta2 root=UUID=eaf7cb39-338b-45ec-a2ef-607aa7b49f0c splash=silent vga=791

initrd (hd2,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv.img

When I had 2008beta1 on the second SATA drive it was as below :-

title linux

kernel (hd2,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sdb5 splash=silent

initrd (hd2,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv.img

The (hd2,4) had to be manually changed to (hd1,4) before it would boot up properly.

The list in my 2008Free (which is the First SATA drive) is as below :-

title Mandriiva2008

kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriiva2008 root=/dev/sda5 splash=silent vga=791

initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv.img.

During the install I noticed that all the partitions were described in the UUID thingy format and not the usual I am used to.

Cheers. John.

John, I have been updating an install from the first alpha, and it has not been stable until about 2 weeks ago. Most of the booting problems were kernel issues for me. But I have cleared out several old kernels and do not remember which was a problem. Frankly, I keep my menu.lst and edit it, even when a new kernel is installed. I just go back and rename my old list and edit since the new kernel always renames the current one menu.lst.old. You might want to try keeping a good menu.lst in your /home.

Thanks mate.

Good advice for everyone. As a matter of fact that is what I usually do.

Just this time it just doesn't work.

The beta2 install was a clean install on the second SATA.

From back in my Main 2008 i went into the second sata and copied the grub menu.lst data directly and pasted it into my 2008 grub menu.lst.

It didn't work so edited it so that the hd2,4 read as hd1,4 as regularly done previously since using 2008. Still no go. So edited it to read as per the earlier beta1 (saved copy of the menu.lst) with change made to exact kernel used in beta2. Still no luck.

The line below

.........................................root=UUID=eaf7cb39-338b-45ec-a2ef-607aa7b49f0c..................... seems to indicate a complete system change as compared to the usual

...........................root=/dev/sda5.

It looks as if the line is a sum check as per ISOs.

While waiting for yourself and others to post I might try reinstalling but selecting a couple of other kernels as well and see if they all result in the same.

This might confirm your suggestion or indicate the kernels are not the problem so we will know one way or the other.

Cheers. John.