Same swap partition for two versions?

NavyLT

I want to partition and install as follows:

hda1, ext3, root partition for 2008.0

hda2, ext3, root partition for 2008.1 beta testing

hda 5, swap, swap partition for both 2008.0 and 2008.1

hda6, ext3, /home partition for both 2008.0 and 2008.1

Is there any problem with two different versions of Linux using the same swap partition?

I would also suggest that you use two different user/login names for that setup.

I can see why the config files might conflict with each other, but that would make it more difficult to share files. Should you maybe make an extra partition to hold the files that will be needed by the two users?

I can see why the config files might conflict with each other, but that would make it more difficult to share files. Should you maybe make an extra partition to hold the files that will be needed by the two users?
That's a very good point, and you are correct. :) However, I just (probably mistakenly) assumed that the OP just wanted to compare the two release versions.

Even when comparing two versions of the same distro, I have frequently encountered problems with config files, at least in KDE. Of course, when comparing with anything in cooker, the mess could just be cooker! I would recommend a small /home file for comparing, just to be safe. (Unless you like fixing things from the CLI.)

Of course you won't boot both versions at the same time.

However, don't forget that "suspend to disk" is often configured by default to save the computer state to swap, thus rendering this swap still used although the OS is shut down.

Conclusion: if you use the "suspend to disk" feature, don't share the swap partition, or be very sure of what you do else you'll break some filesystems beyond any possibility of recovery.

Yves