looking for pocketlivecd recommendations

hi.

i currently have a lot of free time in the office and playing with virtualpc since that is the only virtualization software that i can get away with installing in the office (dont ask :cheesy: ). i am currently trying to install a debian-based system on the virtual machine but need something small to download without making the net admins take notice :evil: .

i already tried DSL but the stock kernel is just too old and its hard to install the extensions. DSL-N should have been the logical choice except it has a bug with the VirtualPC network interface that would probably be left unsolved indefinitely.

i am mulling about doing a debian net-install but for bandwidth reasons, i want to stick with something light and small. i have some ulterior motives why it should be small and light. why debian? because my laptop is already running mandriva and my desktop is running archlinux. this is a good enough chance to get acquainted with debian. :thumbs:

ciao!

Maybe Mint Daryna Fluxbox Edition (does it really fit into a businesscard CD? I hope you will tell us... :P).

OK, it's not Debian, but rather Ubuntu, but the basic philosophy and packaging system is very similar.

err.. according to their download page, the fluxbox edition is the smallest which weighs in at 513MB. thats too big to download from the office network. :D

DSL-N should have been a perfect fit if not for the problem with virtualpc. the standard DSL distro is too bare. i was hoping it would have the standard debian package management tools but it has its own extensions. at least DSL-N is written to have apt and dpkg.

ciao!

Finnix then?

It main purpose is system administration, but it IS Debian testing, and can be set to use the Testing repos. It's not bigger than 120 MB.

Right out of the box it has no X, or sound support, but it shouldn't be too difficult to add them.

Edited by scarecrow