Powerpack 2008 with Linux Magazine

dude67

Nope, cannot copy. It cannot read the files... "Could not read file xxxxx.rpm".

It must be a corrupt DVD. I've tried to unmount/mount the DVD several times, but no.

It seems to have some scratches but more importantly the markings from the glue used in the envelope it was enclosed in are far worse than the small scratches.

I must complain about it and try to get a new DVD from Linux Magazine...

Quite frankly, if you have a fully working Mandriva Free then installing the PowerPack is a sheer waste of time. All the more so since 2008.1 is due out in a month or so.

The PowerPack is simply 2008 Free with non-free extras that can be obtained from Mandriva mirrors anyway.

John, while having the latest and greatest may be a concern for you, it is not necessarily a concern for others. I believe that for the O/P the desire to get the Lin DVD and Cedega packages is their priority, not (generally speaking) feature updates for core packages. IIRC you shouldn't be able to obtain LinDVD and Cedega through non-free.

Since when has been "having the Latest and Greatest" been my concern ???. :huh: I have never once stated that or shown that. In fact I think a lot of my posts demonstrate the opposite view.

I have only moved to 2008 in the last month and it still has 2 problems that have not been fixed from the very beginning, namely the Mouse left thumb button still does not work and sound does not work unless changes are made manually to files. :wall: And 2008.1 is only a month away.

Cheers. John.

• 2 weeks later...

Update part II:

Even though they promised to send me one (I replied them with my home address), I still haven't received any new copy of the PP2008 DVD. What I finally managed to do was create a copy of this DVD in another PC. That DVD drive wasn't that picky with the quality of the disk and didn't mind the scratches on the disk.