Powerpack 2008 with Linux Magazine

dude67

I'm thinking of buying this issue for the LinDVD (I've no idea if that's alone worth it...) and the Cedega (with one months' worth of updates).

I'm running Mandriva Free 2008 currently, so what would be the best and easiest way of upgrading Free to Powerpack? Do I need to make a fresh installation of the Powerpack or can I somehow upgrade Free 2008? What I really want from that Powerpack would be that Cedega and perhaps the LinDVD.

Yup, it will be the right thing, which will probably annoy those that paid full price ;)

I paid full price, and I suppose I should be annoyed, but it's really not that much money in the grand scheme of things, and somebody has to help keep Mandriva afloat.

Add the /i586/media/restricted directory on the DVD as an additional media source for rpmdrake.

Jim

OK, I'm feeling a little bit frustrated, but how do you add that media? When I try that through MCC (adding this media through the GUI and finding my way down the DVD path), all I get is this error message:

Unable to add medium, errors reported:

It's impossible to retrieve the list of new packages from the media `DVD PP 2008'. Either this update media is misconfigured, and in this case you should use the Software Media Manager to remove it and re-add it in order to reconfigure it, either it is currently unreachable and you should retry later.

I'm trying to add this medium as a "Removable device" and the path is /media/cdrom/i586/media. I've also tried this path: /media/cdrom/i586/media/restricted and /media/cdrom/i586/media/restricted/media_info. The last path is where the synthesis.hdlist.cz resides...

Do I need to upgrade (by booting with the DVD) it to Powerpack?

And this is what I get when trying to add it through konsole.

[root@localhost dude67]# urpmi.addmedia DVD_PP removable://media/cdrom/i586/media/restricted
adding medium "DVD_PP"
/bin/cp: reading `/media/cdrom/i586/media/restricted/media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz': Input/output error
unable to access hdlist file of "DVD_PP", medium ignored
unable to update medium "DVD_PP"
removing medium "DVD_PP"
[root@localhost dude67]#

Quite frankly, if you have a fully working Mandriva Free then installing the PowerPack is a sheer waste of time. All the more so since 2008.1 is due out in a month or so.

The PowerPack is simply 2008 Free with non-free extras that can be obtained from Mandriva mirrors anyway.

Save your effort and save the disc as a backup, that is all that it is useful for but then again you have your original 2008-Free disc that you burned for your current install haven't you !

Cheers. John

dude67, Can you open the dvd in konqueror, and browse through the media?

Yes I can, Greg. Hmm.. I may therefore be able to install the .rpm packages directly without MCC or konsole... But would that take care of the dependencies?

OK, that didn't work... Does this mean this DVD is just corrupted/broken?

[root@localhost restricted]# rpm -iv --test lindvd-1.2.6-8mdv2008.0.i586.rpm
 lindvd-1.2.6-8mdv2008.0.i586.rpm: not an rpm package (or package manifest): Input/output error
 [root@localhost restricted]# urpmi lindvd-1.2.6-8mdv2008.0.i586.rpm
 unable to register rpm file
 error registering local packages
 [root@localhost restricted]