Microsoft trains staff to use Linux

mtweidmann

nah, just like the article said they are just learning more about their 'enemy'. their consultants are on the lookout for new technologies to 'implement and incorporate' on their products. it just happens that the source code is conveniently there for the open-source applications. :roll:

ciao!

This means that MS is openly admitting that FLOSS/GNU/Linux is a force that can not be silenced anymore and shoved to the side as something that is for garage hobbyists...

On the other hand, it gives MS ammunition when talking to customers, before the customers would say: whatabout linux/etcetc..?

And the response would be: forget that, don't take it seriously.

Now the response will be: yes I've had training in that, here's why MS software is better:

1- FUD

2- more FUD

3- untrue remarks

4- FUD

etc.

There may well be cases where, at this moment, MS solutions are better, but open standards are the way to go, and they will FUD about it...

In any case, this is not good news for FLOSS in the sense that it means 'the enemy' has cought FLOSS on the radarscreen and are developing a way to deal with it, and it is good news because it underlines that FLOSS is an alternative...

Yes I agree, this is a know thine enemy but MS are to arrogant to realise they might loose programmers over this.

The whole debate is actually pretty simple. They see something nice in Linux, they try and emulate it in Windows, they get bluescreened and frustrated and throw the machine onto the redmond lawn.

Linux works because fundamentally it is a simple logical documented system. Its modular and open. Microsoft programmers hide their source code from each other in a competitive environment (at least they claimed so when asked to show it).

100 people competing to build a bridge over a gorge will never produce a more stable bridge than 100 people cooperating. You can throw as much money and FUD as you like. By the time the architect has finished adding the optional aesthetics the underlying foundations are so shaken the whole structure is unstable.

Think back tothe XBOX crack.... MS spent however many million making it uncrackable et viola. So they changed the encryption (presumably at huge cost) and a few days later it was broken again.

They are wasting their time trying to emulate Linux. If they spent the time and effort making a stable OS they might win the battle but they are diverting their attention elsewhere.

I'd be far more concerned about the ongoing pervasion of OpenStandards like HTML or TCP/IP.

Our science and technology works owing to the free availability of information and peer review. Would you fly a plane that was based on proprietary science and unreviewed design, a plane at the internals of which nobody but the manufacturer could look? Then, why would you trust a closed, unreviewed, proprietary operating system?

Hopefully, even if they don't leave, there will be a new generation of programmers inside MS that are more willing to question things, and express the questions.

Guest Adriano

An interesting question I have had for some time is:

¿What about MS (or anyone else) using GPL'ed code? Right about now, you have no legal way (reverse engineering MS code is, I think, not allowed by the license) of proving they are not using some, unless you work for some government. Even in that case, MS could avoid showing that code citing "3rd party code" licensing :twisted: , or something similar.

Does anyone know how to check on this type of thing? I'd hate to have _these_ freeloaders on "our" boat.

Does anyone know how to check on this type of thing? I'd hate to have _these_ freeloaders on "our" boat.

we cant without the *squealer* being persecuted by microsoft of breaking a non-disclosure agreement (im assuming all of their software developers have to sign it too). nobody can prove anything unless the court responsible will issue a warrant or something to let a non-ms partry take a look at the code without signing the non-disclosure agreement. and i dont think the court will issue one without valid evidence that there is indeed a breach of OSS license. its a catch-22 situation.

but then again, im not a lawyer. jasep and ral might want to comment on that one. take their word above mine. :#:

ciao!

Guest JaseP

Since Intellectual property was never my area of practice, I couldn't give you a sure answer.

But, if an Open Source software foundation sued M$ for using their intellectual property and violating the GPL, then they could make a request for production of documents during the "Discovery" phase of litigation to make the code known. Now, M$ would likely claim (rightly so) that the code is a trade secret and therefor not discoverable under ordinary circumstances. The party suing could then ask the court to examine the code under seal, so that the court could determine if there was copying or not... All in all, it would be a hassle. More likely, M$ would examine the code in one department, and in another make suggestions to their design team to find other ways to approach the problem, rather than expose themselves to this kind of litigation (a CYA move).

If all of this is confusing, then the SCO suit might baffle you.

I still don't think it matters!

What is Linux anyway? No really!

Most of the ideas of linux are simply reutilising code efficiently and using standard protcols. Its a building with a solid base and that base supports everything else built on it.

Windows is a shaky base. They built the foundations into the walls and windows. Break one window and you rock the foundations. UNIX is simply a cleaner more idealistic design built properly and designed so if someone throws a brick through your window you just replace the window!

Most linux programming is simply reusing the basic components or adding a GUI to an existing component (take XCDRoast or well ANYTHING in linux). You have a fundamental object (a file) which you pass arguaments, pipe the output etc. Xcdroast is a front end to cdrecord. GRIP just pipes through an encoder. All of this is open and avaialbe for any enterprising developer. It works because the source is open but also becuase the programs are fundamentally designed that way. If you want to direct ps output through gv you just pipe it! Now GV is available for windows too but try wrtiing a program to produce ps and then display it through gv. The mechanisms just aren't in place.

Its wasted time on behalf of MS to try and emulate Linux becuase they are starting from the wrong place. Anyone who's seen citrix metaframe can't help but be impressed. I certainly was blown away. It adds multuser workspace and resusable binaries into Windows. Its an incredible peice of software really considering where they started.

It would have been easier to redesign a whole new OS from scratch than try and work this into Windows.

Now look at OS-X. Apple got smart and decided they would just rework BSD. Result a stable OS with the polish and flare apple are so good at.

Choose your server from the list ....

Apple, Microsoft or SUN.

Well, depends what you want to do with it but at least you know the SUN and Apple ones are stable.

p.s. I don't have an Apple