Yet another thank you to Mandriva dev's.

viking777

I have already said thank you for certain features that Mandriva has that other distros don't (notably the ability to shut my laptop down, at least some of the time). I now have another cause for celebration!

I am not a great fan of kicker style menus, so immediately I installed Mandriva I changed back to the KDE menu style. I later decided that I would experiment with the newer style and found a feature that I have been wishing for for ages - the ability to reboot from Mandriva straight into another distro without having to sit around waiting for the grub menu to appear and then selecting the relevant entry. Why other distros don't have this amazing time saving device I don't know, but I just had to say thank you for including it in Mandriva.

I guess I'll have to get used to the kicker style menu now because that feature is too good to live without :D :D

the ability to reboot from Mandriva straight into another distro is a very bad idea, which should be removed- actually I don't think ANY serious distro would ever adopt it.

All it does is permanently modifying your grub config, until the next time you call this silly tool.

I undestand WHY it seems to be so great to you, but for any purist/control freak/sensible user, this feature is downright MEAN.

the ability to reboot from Mandriva straight into another distro is a very bad idea, which should be removed- actually I don't think ANY serious distro would ever adopt it.

All it does is permanently modifying your grub config, until the next time you call this silly tool.

I undestand WHY it seems to be so great to you, but for any purist/control freak/sensible user, this feature is downright MEAN.

Wow man calm down...

If you don't want to use it, don't. I don't see how the feature is mean, it's actually extremely time saving if you reboot a lot (you don't have to wait for the system to load up, then select your distro, etc.). I think you're being a bit over-critical especially since it's a feature you can just ignore and move on. I don't see why a sensible user would have such a big problem with it, and you haven't even provided reason as to why you seem to hate such a mundane and easily ignorable feature.

Huh? I use that feature all the time. It doesn't permanently modify your grub config; it does a one-time menu pre-selection, sort of like the old lilo -R command. The next time you boot up, it's back to normal.

I guess I'll have to get used to the kicker style menu now because that feature is too good to live without :D :D

I think you mean the kickoff menu style.

Anyway this feature is not related to menu style. You can use it with the original menu style if you want. The only confusing thing is how it works. Because if you just click on the Reboot button the machine starts to reboot immediately. But if you click and hold the mouse button down the menu appears and you can select any boot entry.

I think you mean the kickoff menu style.

Anyway this feature is not related to menu style. You can use it with the original menu style if you want. The only confusing thing is how it works. Because if you just click on the Reboot button the machine starts to reboot immediately. But if you click and hold the mouse button down the menu appears and you can select any boot entry.

You are right Dexter I do mean 'kickoff' style, and thanks very much for the info regarding the way the kde menu works, again you are right, it does behave in the manner you suggested and I never realised it.

Great stuff, now I have a choice!