Lost Space? [solved]

sjaglin

Hi,

I am running 2008.1 beta 2 with the latest laptop kernel on an Eee PC (asus) and xfce 4.0 as a window manager.

I am trying to find the right set of application to optimize space speed without compromising usability. In order to make spce I tried to mount /home on an sdcard and must have done a wrong manip as I could not log on any more. In the original /home there was a few big files that I do not need. In order the be able to log back in as a user I had to remove my user and recreate it. I have now mounted succesfully /home on my card but the space occupied by my original user is still used?! I tried find to find the files but I don't find them. I suppose the system must have put them somewhere in a lost&found or other?

Can anyone tell me where to look for them or how to ask the system to clean any unused temporary files/lost-found/cache etc. The aim is to find out exactly how much my install is taking, but with these files around, my space reporting is wrong...

Thank you

Stef

[ I had to relog under root, unmount /home (which was mounted on sd card) then the "old" home reappeared with the lost files. Then I copied the old home to the sd card, removed it from the hard drive the ln -s to the card and all space was recovered! Thnks to tof = berthy from cooker]

Edited by sjaglin@yahoo.co.uk