Enable proper nVidia driver in 2007.1? [solved]

Guest marco75

Guest marco75

I have a GeForce 6200 GPU. When I go to Mandriva Linux Control Centre (nicely done by the way, Mandriva, Ubuntu doesn't have a unified control panel) > Hardware > Videocard > Run config tool, it has some GeForce models to choose from, but not the 6200, and anyway, I think those install the gimped driver only (nv) instead of the real deal (nvidia).

The main reason I want accelerated GPU driver is because I get artifacting: texr cursor on web forms in Firefox leaves dirty traces everywhere, windows display doesn't refresh properly etc. It does't do this in Windows, so I blame the nv driver.

I went to Software Management, and searched for "nvidia", but don't know which one to pick (descriptions are all blank). Also, even if I did pick the correct one, would it appear as a choice in the Videocard config tool listed above? (That would be just too perfect, but here's hoping!)

Thanks for reading!

Marco

Before you get to the video card selection, be sure you've enabled the non-free repositories,then select the video card from the list( I think you'll want fx or better) the manager will ask if you care to use the nvidia driver and enable the 3d effects, Tic yes and the rpms will be installed and the xorg,conf file will be changed to use the nvidia driver and you will be asked to restart your computer.

Cheers

Mike

Guest marco75
Before you get to the video card selection, be sure you've enabled the non-free repositories

They were enabled. I went to the video card list and selected the model that was already selected, and got the prompt if I wanted to use the non-free driver then.

It asked for my install media (DVD-R). It took a really long time, like 5 - 10 minutes, until I was prompted again to choose desktop effects etc. After I did, it showed "hardware acceleration : No" (I think that's misleading) and "xorg driver: nvidia", and asked wether I wanted to keep changes.

One Yes and restart of X later, I get the nvidia logo and now I can type this message without artifacting.

Thanks for your help!