office-suits/word-processing programs

Michel

Which office-suit/word-processingprogram,... do you like most?  

1. 1. Which office-suit/word-processingprogram,... do you like most?

• KOffice
    • OpenOffice.Org
    • Ms Office
    • AbiWord
    • Corel Office
    • Other

At the moment I've ionstalled Openoffice..I've not used it really intensively..but so far I like it.

I also saw some screenshots of KOffice and it looked also very good and userfriendly..and for companies I think KSugar for reports ..is also handy....But I've not used it. So, ...my question is why do you like a certain office-suit more than others, what are then the differences(reasons)....

Sorry if I missed some, but these I can think of at the moment...

I added MsOffice although I don't think it is available on linux(anyway, not in native code).

But if you vote for it, please also vote for an office suit that is available on linux, unix,...

Even though it is slow loading.. Openoffice is the choice for me since it's the only one that can open ms office documents decently. Koffice and abiword are ok, but their formatting of outlines leave something to be desired.

I use Star Office 5.2 and 6.0. They're pretty good as long as you don't use the master document feature (too many bugs) and you don't have too many full page diagrams or pictures (it can't seem to properly format the text around the images). I've also had problems with references (for automatically numbered formulas and automatically generated indexes) but this may only be in master document mode.

For far simpler documents I've never had any problems. I guess I'll vote for OO then.

Glitz.

I use Lotus SmartSuite. Lotus WordPro is my favorite word processor. I got it free in 1999 with an IBM Aptiva desktop computer and after learning it out of curiousity, never went back to MS Office. Then it came free with Toshiba laptops (until this year).

I've tried to like WordPerfect, Star, and Ooo and have them all installed on my computer, but Lotus Word Pro is by far the friendliest word processor there is. It's totally unique with a fast and quick "Infobox" which the others lack. It has WYSIWYG, meaning that when you need to change the formatting in any way, it happens right on the page as you do it, so the page is never covered up by a dialogue box.

I could right pages about its advantages, but they would probably be ignored, so I won't go on. :wink:

Too bad IBM stopped selling it in stores last year; and even worse that they never ported it to Linux and don't have plans to, since they cut their Lotus staff.

Have a nice day, all.

Richard L.

I voted for OOo, since it's what I use most.

Like most: latex (lyx for those who can't live without a gui), for its absolutely unrivalled goodlooking output.

I also really liked WordPerfect, the 'underwater view' is what I missed most after moving to MSOffice (at work).

In my current job, we use Framemaker for anything serious. Very powerful, not so userfriendly as some other programs, but at least I don't have to work with MSOffice/word.

I do work with Excel, this is something where OOo has catching up to do...

I used OpenOffice to open my resume and make some changes, but it insists that it will not be able to save all the features. All I have in there is bullets and paragraph borders, nothing fancy. I think this is because OO saves in RTF..

Just curious, does Word save annotation info with the files even if you don't have any? I'm just wondering if maybe OO is seeing that Word put in info on something in the file (not necessarily annotation) even if you didn't use it, and OO is just being polite and telling you there might be a problem.

Anyway, I'm just guessing, since I don't use Word, and haven't used OO in about 18 months.

Like most: latex (lyx for those who can't live without a gui), for its absolutely unrivalled goodlooking output.

I would definately agree there latex output is just amazing quality.

Used to use Wordperfect in my Windows days, which I really liked, but for the past year and a half it's been Open Office and I've come to work well with it. I still have gripes and would prefer a direct way to wite pdf files, instead of to ps and then to pdf. I also have some gripes with calc that I've learned to live with. KOffice and Abiword are not so great. One big lacking is a filter for OO files. I hope that OO, or Star Office, becomes a viable alternative to Windows Office. Again and again I meet people who don't know that you don't have too use Office.

And yes, I wish OO would open more quickly.

I used OpenOffice to open my resume and make some changes, but it insists that it will not be able to save all the features. All I have in there is bullets and paragraph borders, nothing fancy. I think this is because OO saves in RTF..

This is a generic warning message that appears by default anytime you don't save in OOs native format.

Glitz.

I use OpenOffice... but I am qualifying my vote. I think MSOffice is still the best office suit available... I just don't think its worth the money.

I don't think it is possible to supplant MSOffice completely in a public environment yet (Internet Cafe), but we use OpenOffice in 70% of our PC's and MSOffice in 30% without hurting our bottom line.

In a "close" (he he) enviroment... I think OpenOffice can replace MSOffice 100% of the time with the warning that documents you send to MSOffice users may have formatting problems.