NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT troubles

Amorphous_Snake

I am trying to install Mandriva 2008 Free on my new PC, but I can't get the NVIDIA driver to work. I am downloading the latest (169.09) driver from the Contrib repos, but it doesn't work! I also tried Ubuntu and the driver was completely missing from the repos. Now I am running on openSUSE 10.3 and I installed the NVIDIA driver and everything just works, but I want to use either Ubuntu or Mandriva for their polished Gnome.

For Ubuntu, I will try Envy. But what about Mandriva?

When posting a problem, it is helpful to be more specific. Saying that "the driver does not work" really is not enough for anyone to do but guess.

For Mandriva and nvidia, if you cannot get video when first booting, try using the vesa driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf Please set up urpmi via Easy-Urpmi at the top of the pages of this forum, and afterwards type "urpmi nvidia" in a console. The driver will install and you should then run XFdrake to complete the set up.

I recently installed Mandriva 2008, and the NVidia driver was automatically installed for me.

The NVidia driver should be installed automatically (using dkms) during the Mandriva 2008 OS install. Make sure your video card is properly recognized and everything should just work out of the box.