No Cd/Dvd writer found

Guest hafisher

Guest hafisher

I had installed Fedora Core 8 on a HP 9600. Couldn't get my wireless usb to work. So I installed Mandriva latest distro. When I got to the point of installing the drivers, my cdwriter wouldn't get recongnized by K3b. (K3b did not find an optical writing device in your system). When I go to Kinfo Center my SCSI devices show up as: Host scsi 0 Channel:00 Id: 00 Lun:00

Vendor ATA Model ST380013A Rev:3.06

Type: Direct Access ANSI scsi rev: 05

Host scsi1 Channel:00 Id:01Lun:00

Vendor ATAPI Model:CD-RW 52x24 Rev: K.NC

Type: CD-Rom ANSI SCSI rev:05

am very newb I'm still learning Syntax and I don't always get the commands right. Since I don't have the other computer networked yet I can't copy and paste results of commands but I can copy by pen and paper. Any help would be appreciated :wall:

I think a good start to getting the help you need would be to post the output of <cat fstab>. I do the following:

<cd /etc/>

<cat fstab>

and get the following output in Konsole:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto rw,noauto,users,sync,exec 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto rw,noauto,users,sync 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

This file can be edited and, in fact, I did so for some of the above lines (floppy, cdrom) to get those drives working properly. So, post your fstab file and I am sure you will get a concise answer very promptly for your problem.

--------------------------------------------------

Compaq Deskpro EN, Pentium III 933 MHz, 256 MB RAM, Nvidia Riva TNT2 AGP Card, Canon BJC-610 Printer, Best Data 56SX92 External Serial Modem, Mandriva 2007.0, kernel 2.6.17-5mdv, KDE 3.5.4

--------------------------------------------------

Have you run the "Run Config Tool" under Menu->Tools-> System Tools->Configure Your Computer->Hardware CD/DVD burners? If you are manually installing the drivers you may risk of overlooking dependencies or installing the files in the wrong place with the wrong rights, something that "Software Management" gracefully takes care for you. Can you at least read a written CD when you go to Knqueror and under location you type media:/hdb/ (it is hdb for me, for you may be something else according to what you read under Hardware in the Control center)- Ia mnew too and doing this have helped me configure my aged Zip100

Guest hafisher

/dev/VolGroup00/Log Vol00 / ext3 default 1 1

None /proc defaults 0 0

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol 01 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sda1 /media/hd ext3 sync, relatime 0 0

/dev/sda2/media/hd2 auto umask=oo22,users,iocharset=utf8,sync,noauto,flush,exec

this is to the best of my ability right now

Guest hafisher
Have you run the "Run Config Tool" under Menu->Tools-> System Tools->Configure Your Computer->Hardware CD/DVD burners? If you are manually installing the drivers you may risk of overlooking dependencies or installing the files in the wrong place with the wrong rights, something that "Software Management" gracefully takes care for you. Can you at least read a written CD when you go to Knqueror and under location you type media:/hdb/ (it is hdb for me, for you may be something else according to what you read under Hardware in the Control center)- Ia mnew too and doing this have helped me configure my aged Zip100

I ran K3b and it said" No cd/dvd writer found

K3b did not find an optical writing device in your system

The CDWriter is listed under SCSI devices as:

Host SCSI1 Channel:00 Id:01 Lun:00

Vender: ATAPI Model: CD-RW 52x24 Rev: K.NC

Type: CD-Rom ANSI rev:05

Guest hafisher
Do you see a CD burner if you do a

kdesu k3b

If you do, then its certainly enough a permissions problem. Get sure your current user belongs to the optical devices group (I think it's named "cdrom" in Mandriva).

I ran kdesu k3b and the results were:

K3b error: (K3b Device: : Device Manager) could not open /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

K3b error: (K3b Device: : Device Manager) could not open device/dev/sg0 for reading (no such device or address)