copy DVD packages after installing Mandriva

Milo

During the re-install of Mandriva 2008, I chose not to copy the packages to the hard drive. I now want to do this and was wondering how to copy them? I can't find an option in the Åšoftware Management' screen to do this. Is it possible??

To answer your question, create a folder and copy the data. Then, set the area up as a resource to be used by urpmi. But willie is correct in that setting up sources off the internet is preferred.

To put it another way........Nearly all the stuff on the DVD is now obsolete since just about every significant package has been updated by now.

You are simply going to waste around 4Gb of data space on your computer. You already have it all on your DVD disc. If you want a package that you currently don't have installed from your disc then you are far better off using MCC software control to download the latest version of the package from the Mandriva mirrors.

What you are wanting to do is basically a wasted exercise. Sure you can do it but why would you ???.

You would find that even old Linux hands don't bother with it.

Most of us even delete the entry in MCC that is inserted by the install process.

The DVD only has one real purpose and that is to enable the installation of the OS. Even that is rapidly changing........A CD to start the install process with all the selected apps being directly downloaded via ftp mirrors. A typical install uses around 2 to 2.5 Gb and a DVD disc iso requires 4.3Gb. That is a huge difference even for ADSL users who also have monthly download caps. The extra benefit is that the install is right up to date from the very beginning so there is no need for a huge update download, hence a further big saving on downloads.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Well the only reason is that I am having a devil of a time loading packages seeing that I chose the 'no copy' option! I select to install a package, I get asked to insert the DVD and then the dialog box turns to "Installing. Please Wait"and just sits there not even reading the DVD! So I thought that if I copied them it might alleviate this problem. But it seems like I should delete this entry and download update and then install the latest.

Thanks all!

I chose to copy the DVD during the installation, and then there was no space left to do a complete install :wall: There should have been an option in the install to change it if the complete install could not be performed. Individual package selection is a real pain. Finally did the installation with the minimal packages (no KDE etc). Can I now delete the lines from MCC and the files from the hard disk without mcc breaking? My system is not connected to the internet, so I don't really need to update anything.

If you have no sources configured in MCC, then you should also turn off the automatic update check daemon. You should be fine. Removing sources does not "break" anything.

If you are connected to the internet, when Mandriva checks for updates, it looks at the DVD info along with trying to look for internet info. Nothing is broken so much as things are incomplete. This situation should only occur if you are on a machine with a live connection and urpmi has not been configured. I'll agree that not enough info is stressed concerning setting up urpmi, or in your case turning off some automatic features.

Is there a FAQ around here which talks about stuff that can be turned off without breaking anything? I had the mdkapplet and net_applet start up each time and consume most of my free RAM. I find that killing net_applet does not affect my network--as far as I can see all that it does is to put an icon in the taskbar.

And slightly offtopic, I recently had a very good experience with mandriva which I want to put somewhere where people can read it: I swapped out my motherboard and processor, and mandriva detected and configured everything on the next boot! :D I have a fully functioning system with sound, networking and video (all new hardware, note!)

• 2 weeks later...

Milo,

Once you have set up the FTP sources for install and remove software, go back into media manager and either uncheck the top one or two sources that point to the DVD. Or, you can leave them checked and move them to the end of the list. I personally just uncheck them. You can even remove the DVD sources altogether once your FTP sources are set up, but I like to keep them listed, but disabled.

URPMI will then get the packages from the other sources and not ask you for the DVD.

Respectfully,

John

Before updating your source, in a console as root, type "urpmi.removemedia -a" This command removes all sources, including the DVD. ;) Every time I install, I remove all sources before updating urpmi with live sources.