Apache for intranet.

tvlad

I went to www.mandrakeforum.org and there was a link to a nice tutorial about how u can setup a weblog : running Php-Nuke in your local network.

One of those steps was to setup Apache to work as an intranet server.I installed drakwizard but the web config wizard dies as soon as i press the next button, so i need to know how to setup Apache as a intranet server by modifying httpd.conf

First question: do you have Apache/PHP/MySQL setup on your computer and working properly?

If you don't then that is the first thing that needs to be done.

There really isn't anything different with Apache for an intranet, extranet, or internet. The only real difference is the way that the site is accessed. In httpd.conf you will need to supply an IP address that is accessable on your network.

Here is the line that needs to be changed:

ServerName localhost

You need to change this to something like

ServerName 192.168.1.10

The IP address is the address belonging to the network card in the computer on which apache is installed. Once this is done then it will work for an intranet.

If you do not have Apache/PHP/MySQL up and running then go to www.apachetoolbox.com and download their install script and use it. This is the easiest way I have ever found to install apache et al.

Well i encountered a new problem.If i make my browser use a proxy, when i type my local nic addres, it no longer loads the test page of the apache server.

U can tell Mozilla not to use the proxy for certain addreses.I told it not to use the proxy for my local nic's addres, but it won't work.

I can see the test page only if i don use any proxies.Any ideas how i could view the test page even with the proxy on :?: :?: :?:

It's quite important to me because everyone in my network uses a proxy for their browsers, and if i don't figure how they can view whatever my apache is serving

while they are using a proxy, they won't take the proxy off just to see my weblog.

Well, i made mozilla work even with a proxy by telling not to use it for 182.168.0.100 (my nic addres). Before it didn't work because i had told mozilla not to use the proxy for http://192.168.0.100, instead of just 192.168.0.100 as i did now.

But since my friends in the nettwork are using Windows and thus Internet Explorer, they can't specify to their browser not to use a proxy for 192.168.0.100

If someone knows how to do that while using a proxy and not specifying to the browser to ignore the proxy for that addres, it would be great.

PS: I know there is Mozilla for Win, but i doubt that i'll convice'm to install it. :( , they are too comfy.