Help request from a newbie Mandriva user

freeboy

I can see coralftp in rpmdrake. Try downloading the hdlist files again.
I had already done lots of urpmi.update -a to refresh the lists, but I guess there must have been something wrong with that mirror. I changed mirrors and can now see it. Frustrating.

I finally installed it, it doesn't start up, but that's another thread :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jlseagull

Hi there all,

I too am a new Mandriva user (in fact this is my first contribution), and I noticed that freeboy is having the same problem that I am having: that is, I installed two applications from the online repository (I use the Canadian site) using urpmi from a root console (the applications were bittorrent and smart), and I was absolutely unable to find those applications listed in the menu, despite having completed the installation successfully , including the installation of all dependencies. I opened the console and typed smart and got a list of parameters for that command. I initially concluded that means that smart is not a GUI based application, as I had been led to believe from its description

I noticed that one of the available parameters is --gui. I typed smart --gui, and got the error "gtk not available". I know that gtk stands for "gnome tool kit". Does this mean that smart requires the Gnome desktop environment, and that is why it is not appearing in the KDE menu? Could that be the general explanation for programs that install correctly and do not show up in the KDE menu?

Welcome aboard!

I initially concluded that means that smart is not a GUI based application, as I had been led to believe from its description
Well yes and no. If you look at the packages there's one called "smart" which is just the tool, and another one called "smart-gui" which adds the gui bit. This is fairly common, so that the legwork is separated from the pretty part. You can just add the smart-gui the same way you added the smart. If it needs other gtk packages it will add them for you.

I know that gtk stands for "gnome tool kit". Does this mean that smart requires the Gnome desktop environment, and that is why it is not appearing in the KDE menu?
No, gtk applications run fine under gtk. You almost certainly _do_ have the gtk stuff, because popular apps like Gimp (the "G" from Gtk) rely on it. Once you add smart-gui package you should be fine.

Could that be the general explanation for programs that install correctly and do not show up in the KDE menu?
Sadly, no. This is due to dodgy package definitions which use the old or wrong format or something - adamw explained it once but basically they're just mistakes. BitTorrent should show up no problem (probably under "Internet") but if it doesn't you can add it yourself.

BitTorrent should show up no problem (probably under "Internet") but if it doesn't you can add it yourself.

As with smart, the gui for bt is in a separate package. Searching in rpmdrake is generally easier than using urpmi, unless you know exactly what you want to install.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508