changing router addresses?

scoopy

What would change those addresses assigned to each machine on my network? I don't know the proper name, but they are the 192.168.x.x ip's.

I have two machines and a router and have not changed any hardware. I have reinstalled windows (2000 in place of 98 ) on one, but this is not the one that I noticed the change on.

My main computer was running at 192.168.0.2, until I noticed I was getting "low id" and "cannot connect to port" messages with eDonkey. So I went to the router's config page (192.168.0.1) changed the 2 to a 3 and this fixed it.

I haven't been installing much, or messing with any network configs. The last thing installed was gkrellm. I have a cable modem and my actual IP has remained unchanged.

So what changed here?

thanx,

I may be going on to a wild tangent here. But I may found the cause of 192.168.0.2 glitch in your case. You see, when you are using the wizard route in drakconnect (which is basically what happens during installation), at the Enter your hostname, DNS server and gateway section, the default DNS is always 192.168.0.2. I can change it to 192.168.0.1 (which is the router), but the number 192.168.0.2 always there during installation. So I guess edonkey is using your own computer for dns and cannot connect to it or something.

In any case, it seems that 192.168.0.3 works fine so just keep using that ip. I use 192.168.0.100 myself because I don't want my local ip to get mixed up with anything :)

I think I understand you DragonMage, the router is normally at 192.168.0.1, but for some reason, Mandrake wants to use 192.168.0.2 instead.

I am connecting through DHCP, which automatically configures my connection, which probally has something to do with the change then.

My concern is that I have to open up specific ports on specific machines (ethO in this case) to allow eDonkey (or ICQ, etc) to work.

I guess there's nothing to worry about then, it all works the same. Just hope it does not decide to change things again tomorrow.

thanx,