Time to track down those little boot up gliches

scoopy

There's a couple error messages that flash by as I boot MDK 9.1 that I would like begin to track down. The thing is they flash by kind of fast and was wondering how I can find these in a log or something. They may not be no biggy, but I would like to see all green "OK's" flash by instead and decrease the boot time.

thanx

Good, dmesg | less gives me some info that may help with the one message (about the usb ports/card reader), but dmesg | most gives me bash: most: command not found

The one error I was looking for has something to do with: insmod: sd_mod already exists

Guest fubar::chi
Good, dmesg | less gives me some info that may help with the one message (about the usb ports/card reader), but  dmesg | most gives me bash: most: command not found

The one error I was looking for has something to do with:  insmod: sd_mod already exists

sounds like it's being loaded twice. Maybe once in as a depency to some scsi stuff (burner?) by modprobe and then again separately in /etc/modules.conf . just a thought to get you started error hunting :)

shhhhhh, be wary, wary, qwiet... I'm hunting errors.... ehhehhhehhh.

Now come out you scwery ewwors.

Yep, think we are on to something here. K3b install probally had something to do with this one - tho modules.conf looks clean.

that works bvc, thanks.

I think all the errors are stemming from the USB card reader. While searching the forum here, I decided to try and clear up one of the errors by "reinstalling" the card reader. I get all green OK's now... as long as I have a flash card in it, but the errors come back as soon as I try to boot without one in there.

Just to clarify, I was getting one of those error messages even tho I had a card inserted, but this has cleared up (for now).

Will do more hunting another time. There must be a way to put this in fstab, so it is not checking this "disc" like it would a harddrive.

thanks again.

Just a guess, but I'd say you might want to set your flash up like a CD or Floppy drive in /etc/fstab:

terry@timestorm: /home/terry

23:55:38 $ grep cd /etc/fstab

/devices/cdroms/cdrom0          /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0

use the noauto so it doesn't try to automatically mount at boot (that way it won't make a difference whether there is a card in it or not) - make sure you don't use ro though - that's "read only"