VirtualBox buggered after latest kernel update

Guest jgj

VirtualBox worked fine all morning, then had to go so powered the laptop down. When I booted it up, I got the dreaded error message

VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Re-setup the kernel module by executing ‘/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup’ as root.

VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).

Of course, trying to re-setup vboxdrv didn't work

bash: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: No such file or directory

I checked and I do have virtualbox-kernel-laptop-latest installed.

I'm tearing my hair out here...

Help, please!

Instead of tearing your hair, read the program documentation and run (under a root console)

modprobe -r vboxdrv
vbox_build_module
modprobe vboxdrv

You should do this every time you upgrade your kernel, unless you have some sort of dkms-virtualbox package installed.

Edited by scarecrow

Same problem here. The easiest solution I found was to install the new kernel source, kernel-source-2.6.22.18-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0, and then install the dkms package for VirtualBox, dkms-virtualbox-1.5.0-6mdv2008.0. Reboot and a new vbox module will be automatically rebuilt and installed. Note, I don't think the vbox_build_module command will work unless you first install the kernel source for the new kernel which is not installed by default.

Instead of tearing your hair, read the program documentation and run (under a root console)

modprobe -r vboxdrv
vbox_build_module
modprobe vboxdrv

You should do this every time you upgrade your kernel, unless you have some sort of dkms-virtualbox package installed.

Thank you. As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a newbie in all things Linux - and I may be trying to fly before I can walk...

Anyway, I did as you suggested - and this was the result:

[root@localhost /]# modprobe -r vboxdrv
FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found.
[root@localhost /]# vbox_build_module
bash: vbox_build_module: command not found
[root@localhost /]# modprobe vboxdrv
FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found.
[root@localhost /]#

Somehow, I think vboxdrv was not included in the kernel-laptop-latest. I know I'm not the only one to experience this today -someone else posted exactly the same problem on another forum.

Would installing dkms-virtualbox solve this?

I'm also experiencing the same problem. I got the exact same error message as jgj.

I have the non-open-source version (with PUEL) installed. I uninstalled it totally and installed the full version (again not the OSE, but the full version) from virtualbox site (the mandriva .rpm). Still the same problem as jgj.

After reading this thread I installed the dkms-virtualbox-1.5.0-6mdv2008.0 as suggested by pmpatrick. The only thing is that the dkms-virtualbox is meant for OSE version of VBox - I don't know if it's needed for the full version.

Anyway, I rebooted and got through the first part of scarecrow's advice. But the "vbox_build_module" was not recognized:

[root@localhost home]# vbox_build_module
				   bash: vbox_build_module: command not found

I still tried the third line in scarecrow's post:

[root@localhost home]# modprobe vboxdrv
			   FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv/kernel/3rdparty/vbox/vboxdrv.ko.gz': No such file or directory

OK, I then did what was suggested in the VirtualBox error message and that was to re-setup the kernel-module by executing /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup.

[root@localhost home]# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
			 Stopping VirtualBox kernel module							   [  OK  ]
			 Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module							[FAILED]
			 (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
			 [root@localhost home]#

And I couldn't make head or tail of that message. I could post some of it if that would help.

Same problem here. The easiest solution I found was to install the new kernel source, kernel-source-2.6.22.18-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0, and then install the dkms package for VirtualBox, dkms-virtualbox-1.5.0-6mdv2008.0. Reboot and a new vbox module will be automatically rebuilt and installed. Note, I don't think the vbox_build_module command will work unless you first install the kernel source for the new kernel which is not installed by default.

And that worked!

Thank you very much.

dude67, you probably need the kernel source for the new kernel to compile the vboxdrv kernel module and it's not installed by default. See if you can get it to compile after installing kernel-source-2.6.22.18-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0:

# urpmi kernel-source-2.6.22.18-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already have it installed.

[root@localhost home]# urpmi kernel-source-2.6.22.18-1mdv
Package kernel-source-2.6.22.18-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0.i586 is already installed

The package in the repos is old (1.5.4 is out since ages) as well as the somewhat crippled OSE edition.

Why not the latest PUEL edition from here?

It still has problems (virtual folders are slow and buggy, USB2 does not work for storage devices etc...) but it's much better than the 1.5.0 OSE.

Edited by scarecrow

dude67, now that you mention it, I recall having similar problems trying to build the vboxdrv on the non-free version, albeit with a different kernel. I never could get the rpm version of the non-free version to work with any kernel in 2008. I would definitely uninstall the dkms-virtualbox package for starters and see if the module will compile.

I'm sorry, my posts seem a little confusing. I'll try to clarify.

I did DL and install the .rpm PUEL package from the VBox site (the very link scarecrow posted). I had uninstalled the previous installation (done earlier with the .run package found on their site) before running the .rpm (PUEL) package.

I could not get it to work with that - it gave me the same error message as jgj posted in the first post.

I have the latest kernel-sources also installed.

I tried, but I could not get it to work according to the advice scarecrow gave (see my earlier posts above). When trying to make it work, I installed the dkms-virtualbox modules (for OSE as I couldn't find any dkms-virtualbox packages for PUEL). No dice.

@pmpatrick: Sorry, if this is a newbie question, but what exactly does that mean? I get the part where I should uninstall the dkms-virtualbox -package, but how to compile the module? Do you mean according to scarecrow's first post in this thread? I believe that is what I first tried - also tried to make it work by booting the system. I think the system is giving some errors when booting and saying something about not finding the kernel-modules for vbox... something. It goes by pretty fast - I could find that bit from the logs. I'm not at home currently - could check that tonight, though.

Edited by dude67

I'm sorry, my posts seem a little confusing. I'll try to clarify.

I did DL and install the .rpm PUEL package from the VBox site (the very link scarecrow posted). I had uninstalled the previous installation (done earlier with the .run package found on their site) before running the .rpm (PUEL) package.

I could not get it to work with that - it gave me the same error message as jgj posted in the first post.

What I do when using the PUEL version:

1. Uninstall ALL other vbox and virtualbox rpms (Enter vbox|virtualbox in the search box in the Software Manager)

2. Make sure kernel-desktop-devel-latest is installed (or kernel-laptop-devel-latest if using the laptop kernel ). (The full kernel source may be OK, but is not necessary)

3. Install the PUEL rpm.

4. Add my user to the vboxusers group

5. After booting into a new kernel, re-run the setup script. (On the first attempt to launch a vm after booting into a new kernel, a pop-up displays the exact command that must be run.)

This works perfectly for me every time.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

:thumbs::woot:

Thank you all: scarecrow, pmpatrick and jkerr82508!

I had my user ID added to the group vboxuser. So it wasn't that.

What I did was this:

1) I uninstalled the lot (again, I might add...): anything to have virtualbox or vbox in their name.

2) I installed kernel-desktop-devel-latest module (just in case and as Jim suggested).

3) Installed the .rpm (PUEL) package found on the virtualbox site.

3) Rebooted (or rather started X again - [Ctrl - Alt - backsp])

And finally I was able to start Vbox guests! Thank you all!