Beware the latest updates

RVDowning

Did the usual update yesterday evening and noticed that it included kernel updates. I didn't think it usually did that. Anyway, I competed the update but unfortunately forgot to reboot my system at the time. So, it was only this morning that I noticed that a reboot failed.

It didn't boot into KDE. When I logged on it got some kind of "keychain" error. When I tried a startx I got all kinds of errors back to the screen, so I was stuck in terminal mode.

I was also unable to do a startx from any of the previous grub entries for previous kernels. It seems this update totally hosed my system. So, I kicked off a full system restore from my most recent backup just before I left for work. Guess I'll find out later today whether it was successful or not.

I have resolved my sluggishness problem caused by the kernel update. The sluggishness was actually a momentary mouse freezing under any kind of CPU load. The newer kernel appears to have problems with my KVM switch. When I added psmouse.proto=exps to the append line of lilo.conf my problems went away.

Sometimes life seems too complicated.... ;)

These are the errors in /var/log/messages that help me resolve the problem:

Feb 14 22:20:26 localhost kernel: psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - timeout

Feb 14 22:20:26 localhost kernel: psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 1 bytes away.

Feb 14 22:20:27 localhost kernel: psmouse.c: resync failed, issuing reconnect request

Edited by daniewicz