Asus ATI Radeon 9200 video won't work in 2008

dan in Jersey

When I installed Mandriva, it would not work with the card in the title. I removed the card and it works with the onboard video, but without 3D. I've done searches and read many posts. I believe I have a driver that will work (fglrx_4_3_0-8.28.8-1.i386.rpm). The post I found that took me too this drived stated I needed to have the kernel source installed. Obviously a newbie, I don't know how to verify this.

If anyone could direct me on how to install this driver I would sincerely appreciate it. I would like to reinstall the card and free up the shared RAM the onboard chip uses.

I was able to get this card working in openSUSE 10.3 by setting the screen resolution to 1024x768 before the install, but that will not work with Mandriva 08. It will boot the live CD for a couple of minutes then I get a floating "input not supported" message.

My system: MSI MS-7181 mobo, Sempron 2800+ (1.6), onboard S3 Unichrome VGA, onboard AC97 sound, Acer AL1916W monitor.

Edit: Also, while reading another post, I came across Easy UPPMI. I went to this page, http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ , and followed the instructions, and a couple of files were downloaded. Not understanding exactly what I'm doing, I am not sure if I was adding repositories, where I can find the drivers, or if I was acually downloading drivers. Please advise, sorry for the stupid questions. Obviously, I have a lot of reading to do.

Edited by dan in Jersey

Welcome!

Yes, setting up Easy-Urpmi is a must. If you followed the directions on the page, then you are good to go. Open a console and type "su." Hit enter, and then type the root password. Hit enter. Now, type "urpmi kernel-source" If you have configured urpmi correctly, it will go to the repositories and retreive the package(s) and install them. You may want to add PLF repositories, as they contain some Mandriva rpm's that are not available through the regular sites.

A couple of notes: any rpm not specific for Mandriva might not work. You are better off getting tarballs (files that end in .tar.gz) to install software not packaged in an rpm. Also, you may as well know that ATi does not keep up with Linux very well. They have improved, but are still miles behind Nvidia. While some folks manage to get ATi working well, others never get it to cooperate with a Linux system.

Thank you for the replies and advice!!

I decided I had spent enough time trying to make the ATI card work :wall: . After reading your reply stating nVidia support was far betterr than ATI, I went to eBay and found a cheap Asus GeForce4 Ti 4600 card. I installed it last night and it is plug and play in both Mandriva 08 & WinXP. So, problem solved! So far, I am really enjoying Mandriva! I did play around with the 3D desktops, but they slow the system down, so I went back to no 3D desktop. I definitely have 3D though!

I did open a cosole and follow the directions in your reply, and It did do what you said it would do. I still don't understand what happened. Was I installing updates? Updating the kernel? Is Easy URPMI a program, or does it work alongwith add/remove software? I did notice now that "sysinfo" works, where before I received an error when trying to start it.

Thank you again for your time!!...Dan

About urpmi

Linux packages software differently than windows. In Linux, programs are compiled using certain libraries and other programs. These other programs are called "depends" because the software you wish to install depends upon another program for some function. Installing software used to mean that one had to look at the "readme" file, gather the depends, install them, and then install the desired program. Urpmi automatically does all of this for you. Again, if you want a program that is not available in a Mandriva specific rpm, you can use source tarballs and compile it your self. But you will have to also get the depends. There are lots of programs available as rpm's.

With urpmi configured, the system's auto update notifier will work, which may be what you noticed.