USB hardware questions (Scanner, CompactFlash card reader)

Guest Maillion

Guest Maillion

I won't be able to access this board for a week or two, so I thought I would leave you all with a couple of questions that may be interesting.

System essentials:

AMD K6 III 333mHz CPU

FIC motherboard

offbrand CDR/RW (max 4x write)

Panasonic S15 Monitor

offbrand video card with an S3 chipset

Primary hard driive: Maxtor 10 gig

Linux drive: Western Digital 3 gig

Data drive: Maxtor 6 gig

HP 842C color inkjet printer (parallel)

HP 2200c flatbed scanner (USB)

USB memory card reader (can't remember the brand; I'll get back to you)

128 mb PC100 RAM

C-Media Sound Blaster compatible sound card

speakers died a few weeks ago...

That's about all I can think of right now.

The questions:

1. Every version of Mandrake that I have experimented with finds my scanner, but none of them allows me to use it. I can't recall the exact error message at the moment, but basically XSane tells me it cannot find the scanner, even though the name shows up in various places.

Any ideas?

2. Linux can't see my flash card reader.

I know you need more info, but I'm not near my computer right now. I will get the error messages, and post them in a week or two.

BTW, there is no hurry on either of these, and they may become moot in a couple of months, anyway, because I am considering a major upgrade to my system. However, the card reader at least will follow on into the new system, and the scanner will be the last thing to be changed.

TIA,

Johnny

Have you checked out the Sane website for instructions? You might have to copy some files from the install CD.

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

As for your card reader, if its USB Linux should detect it and create a /dev entr for it. Once the card reader is plugged in have a look for something like "/dev/sda1". You'll then have to manaully mount it:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/card_reader

Guest Maillion
Have you checked out the Sane website for instructions?  You might have to copy some files from the install CD.

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

As for your card reader, if its USB Linux should detect it and create a /dev entr for it.  Once the card reader is plugged in have a look for something like "/dev/sda1".  You'll then have to manaully mount it:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/card_reader

Thanks! I just got back from the website, and am encouraged. I downloaded the new Xsane frontend, just in case it is not in 9.1...

On the card reader, it did not show up in /dev in v. 9.0, but I haven't looked in 9.1 stince I installed. (I've had some other problems, apparently due to the change).

Thank you!

Johnny