MCNLive - no harddisks shown!

Guest tiorba

Hello,

I just have discovered and installed MCN Live Toronto on my computer. It works quite well - but there is only one problem, which I couldn't resolve with my little Linux knowledge.

Starting the system with the live-Cd MCN finds all other harddisks (hda1,5+6/hdb1,5+6 with Windows). After having installed it on harddisk it only recognizes its own linux-partition (hdb7+8), but not the other partitions. I have had a look into the fstab-file and in fact there are no other partitions. Then I changed the fstab as root, adding the other hda and hdb infos by hand - but MCN still didn't accept or show the other partitions. Next I've copied the fstab-file from the live-installation (which shows all partitions), and integrated it into the harddisk installation, but MCN didn't accept it either :wall: .

Does anyone has an idea how I could convince MCN to get contact to the other partitions? Thanks in advance...

tiorba

Hi Mindwave,

thanks for your suggestion. I've forgotten to mention that the Windows Partitions are FAT32 formatted - and not NTFS. I tried to install ntfs-3g and ntfs-config anyway - but of course without success...

Is there an equivalent installation for FAT-partitions? Does anyone know something about?

Thanks

tiorba

WOW that is strange.

are they mounted in the control panel? again, my failing memory, but I believe that once you install MCNL to the hard drive you need to mount your drives to the system through the control panel.

I always give my slight variations of a normal name. Like my 2 320's are mounted at /mnt/var2 and mnt/var3

that way I dont have to worry about PERMENENTLY integrating them with the system, AND I can UNMOUNT them when i want to run a re master.

if you DONT unmount them, your remaster will fail.

try mounting them through the MCC and let us know if that works.

j

Thanks again for your suggestions....I tried your and some other solutions, but there is still no access to the win-partitions, though they are shown as existant by Harddrake. But no way to mount them....

Meanwhile I'm fed up spending a lot of hours in searching a solution. But I keep MCN anyway - even with this problem. Probably I'll try again to resolve it a bit later.

Hi tiorba,

I have a similar situation with my own setup. MCNL, while running in live mode, will mount all disks (although ntfs disks/partitions are mounted read only), but once installed to hard disk will only mount its own disks/partitions. If you wish to mount any other disks or partitions, you have to do it manually using the "mount" command from a terminal window. If your windows disk is /dev/hdb1 and formatted FAT32 you could try:

mount -t fat /dev/hdb1 /mnt

You should then be able to access your windows disk by typing "cd /mnt" from the command line, or by double-clicking on the "Devices" icon on your desktop and open your disk from there and selecting the folder "/mnt".

Regards, Phydeaux.

Hi,

I don't know exactly why but I have access to the win partition which I have written in the fstab-file and which I have mounted as root a couple of days ago. Actually I havn't enough time to see what happened, but I'll try to find it out later.

tiorba

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.