Modem

Guest Ed

I have a US Robotics 5610B modem that works fine with Red Hat Linux. However, Mandrake 9.1 will not see it. It is a controller-based or hardware modem.

Are there Mandrake drivers for it?

In the US Robotics site they say:

"This RPM package has been tested under Red Hat Linux 6.0 and higher. It should also work with other Linux distributions supporting the RPM utility."

Will I be able to install it successfully in Mandrake using the RPM utility considering I have never used the RPM utility?

Thank You,

Ed.

You should be able to install it without a problem.

# rpm -ivh nameofpackage.rpm

Hope that helps you :wink: . I'm surprised you can't install it as a generic modem under Mandrake - have you tried that?

Welcome!

You need not install anyhting. It's in the kernel. I have the exact same modem and it works great!

What do you mean "Mandrake 9.1 will not see it"? where? what app?....if you're referring to harddrake don't bother...it's useless. I uninstall it. I just point kppp, wvdial, drakconnect, or linuxconf to /dev/ttyS0 and forget the /dev/modem symlink.

what do you get if (as root) you do;

[root@localhost proc]# cat /proc/tty/driver/serial

serinfo:1.0 driver:5.05c revision:2001-07-08

0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:115200 tx:37083 rx:189751 brk:1 RTS|CTS|DTR|DSR|CD

[root@localhost proc]#

Guest Cordman

Ed, did you get your modem working? I have the same modem and it worked fine with ML 8.0. I just installed 9.1 and kppp won't detect it. When I do a modem query I get no strings in return, but I can see it in the Hardware center.

I'm going to keep plugging away, but was wondering if you had any success. If you installed th edrivers from the USR website and that worked, I might give that a try. I do know though, that when I was running ML 8.0, it detected my modem very well. I didn't have to install anything. I think it might be a kernel issue with 9.1

with a new 9.1 install for a Xircom Lan/Modem card that was a breeze to get up in every other version. 9.1 installer never got to the modem and only ever got the Lan part. I finally saw that harddrake kept pointing to tty/S0 or something, but it should have been tty/S3.

maybe this is the problem?

By the way, I had to install from scratch 2 (!) times before even PPPd was intalled. Very VERY unusual from all my other intall experiences....

R

I had a very similar problem with a conexant HCF modem. I fixed it by getting the linux driver off a link from their site and installing with rpm.

The /dev/modem link kept defaulting to ttys0 but after installation it was pointed to ttySHC0 and found the modem (still doesn't show in hard drake though)

Guest Cordman

Finally got mine going. When I "detected" it through linuxconfig, it came back as being at /dev/ttyS4. Of course, kppp only goes to /dev/ttyS3 so I was scratching my head. After much searching, I found some documentation about adding a line in the /etc/serial.config, like this:

ln -sf /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem and it has worked like a charm since. Hopefully, it'll stay that way... :)