From Gnome to KDE

bvc

MDK9.0

It's been almost a years since I've given KDE a look, and I'm impressed. Not getting into details, gnome2 has made me absolutely sick. :( Gnome doesn't like me anymore. :? I started to setup Fluxbox but I guess I've just gotten lazy, and burned out on flux and constant editing.

To get to the point, I want to know of a good email client for kde.

-Is Kmail as good as it gets?

-Are you happy with it?

-Is there a good alternative?

I still have Evolution and Galeon. Though I hate to give up my galeon, phoenix is doing really good. The prob with galeon is it's needing esd for flash or it freezes, which means I have to start and stop esd when I use galeon.

-Anyone know how to get around this?

I love evolution but if these 2 could be replaced with something comparable then I could remove all the gnome libs and such, saving alot of space and resources.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Funny, I used to HATE kde, so it makes me wonder if it's a Windows rebelion thing, you know. You leave win for linux and you want to get as far away as possible, so you end up with flux,bb, or windowmaker. Then after a while it's like you've been there done that-who cares, give me kde. Or is it just me?

Thanks, I already had mozilla, as it's needed by galeon. I installed mozilla mail and I'll give it a try.

:?: I see the ~/.kde/Autostart/.directory. Do I add my stuff in there, or do I add my script, to the Autostart dir?

:?: The other day I had the icons in the panel animated. Where is that done? I can't find it?

I use Sylpheed. It's strictly an email client and it is extremly fast! No more waiting for 30 secs for email to be pulled up in Evolution, in Sylpheed, it's instantaneous! Also it has a few additional features over Kmail. I still use Evolution as my PIM and hotsync client though.

Have you tried Sylpheed-claws? I did about 3 months ago at it was too buggy, but then again it was dep-hell just to get it. I wonder what the newer releases are like for 9.0?

Sylpheed-claws is the bleeding edge version of Sylpheed. If you like putting beta software on your computer then this is the one for you. Otherwise, stick with the regular, and stable, Sylpheed release.

I need html
I do too (either HTML or rich text). As far as I know, the only free e-mail clients that do that are: Evolution, Mozilla (and Netscape of course), and maybe Ishmail.

As Ishmail is bugged (only IMAP works with me), and Evolution too (and too heavy), I definitively settled for Mozilla. It is very good at having multiple identities.

Besides, I need LDAP, and Mozilla handles this very well too.

Yves.

Hmmmm. Maybe Mozilla, I think it does html.
:lol: :lol:

I use KMail and I'm really happy with it. It's easy to set up, does use HTML if you chose, and has this nice little feature called "bounce" that let's you send back any mail you don't want as undeliverable. Comes in handy sometimes. :wink:

One of the big bonuses with Mozilla Mail is that it handles html mail beautifully. It is after all Mozilla.

and has this nice little feature called "bounce" that let's you send back any mail you don't want as undeliverable. Comes in handy sometimes.

Sounds like a very cool feature. Something that should be included into every mail client.