what is kbuildsycoca?

Hi there. I tried to install java and a series of strange messages appear:

Unpacking...
Checksumming...
Extracting...
UnZipSFX 5.50 of 17 February 2002, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
 inflating: jre-6u3-linux-i586.rpm
Preparing...				########################################### [100%]
  1:jre					########################################### [100%]
Unpacking JAR files...
	rt.jar...
	jsse.jar...
	charsets.jar...
	localedata.jar...
	plugin.jar...
	javaws.jar...
	deploy.jar...
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca

Done.
[root@horatiu java]# kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file .hidden/dirfilterplugin.desktop has Type=Service but is located under "apps" instead of "services"
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : .hidden/dirfilterplugin.desktop
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/kpovmodeler.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KPovModeler/Document'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/konversation.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'DCOP/InstantMessenger;DCOP/Unique'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'xine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KaffeinePart'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'xine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'xine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-asf-plugin'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/yelp.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/docbook+xml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/base.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'zz-application/zz-winassoc-wps'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kover.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-kover'

I think it has nothing to do with java but I don't understand the WARNINGS, should I worry about? What does the kbuildsycoca doing?

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

So ... should I leave it like this? No worries?

:)

It depends on what you did. Your initial post is hardly informative.

Where the java binaries go? Maybe /opt/javasomething/bin ?

If so, you must add this /bin directory to your system PATH, else java applications will not be able to initialize java properly.

You should see the exact same messages in the console if you type, for example, kwrite into the console to run it. They are annoying, but irrelevant. If you would've been running a DE besides KDE, you would not have seen these messages most likely unless you try to run a KDE app.