getting ready for gentoo

I can't really say, I don't use accelerated graphics that much.  When I was playing around with ATI DRI, (or was it my nvidia drivers... or Gatos for the ATI - I forget) -- anyway, one of them specifically said not to use the X DRM.  I just have them loaded in X so I can run celestia every once in a while.

40° 54' N 117° 48' W

Elko, NV. That's brilliant!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Page 6

I think it's fluctuations in the solar wind beating against your monitor :) sorry, couldn't help myself.

cybrjackle: thanks, actually though, Elko is 40° 50' N 115° 47' W :)

Well, the first one is just telling you it can't locate your Real Time Clock module (did you make an RTC module/compile it in when you configured your kernel?).

IMPORTANT!

Be sure to read this: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=79

OK - I just recompiled my kernel in the hopes of getting three things achieved:

1) USB keyboard working

2) getting rid of this rtc error message

3) Being able to get the computer to power off at shutdown

Results are:

1) Followed the link static gave exactly and (once I realised which module to load) this works

2) Couldn't find where to configure this - I did see something about RTC and GMT, so I enabled it, but this didn't solve the problem :(

3) Haven't powered off yet - although I'm certain I used to have more options in the config under acpi or apm than I do now. Watch this space regarding this one

Any advice anyone? :D

Edit: All solved...

• 1 year later...

May seem like overkill here about etc-update - but - When I do a emerge -u world I first tar up the whole darn /etc directory.

Its not that big and dont take but a second. Then I rename it to that days date and save it to a backup.

That way if something goes wrong I can track the changes from one emerge -u to another. May seem like overkill but Ive killed my Gentoo system to many times being lazy with etc-update. "-5" anyone?

I also agree about the Gentoo board. Im a member their but I dont post much, most have been asked already. Plus youll get a few RTFM or search the forum postings if you get a bit lazy.

How many of you run ~x86? I do - and still rock solid. If find nitro-sources are best on my lappy. :cheesy:

aargh, I want a faster computer :P I wanna install Gentoo!! but It would take days, and my mum isn't happy with that fact :P

I found out by compiling my own kernel my computer got faster, I think it was the option of having the kernel set to use my P4. And also my ATI drivers if that has had anything to do with the speed. You should try to compile your kernel some time. It's fun, and it's well worth it.

-Luis