getting ready for gentoo

Well, the first one is just telling you it can't locate your Real Time Clock module (did you make an RTC module/compile it in when you configured your kernel?).

the second one appears to be some sort of bug in xargs where the environment size calculation is limited to 20k.

Google search for: xargs: environment is too large for exec

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

OK - about to start all over again for the third time! My boss has just given (more like a long term loan) a new PC that beats the pants of the old one(although it's still not that great compared to brnad new PCs), which is nice. So now I have to figure out things with some new hardware. Got a list of most of the modules I need but I have a few questions...

1) My graphics card is ATI Rage 128 - Am I right in thinking that this is NOT Nvidia? How do I get 3d working for it - is it just a case of emerging DRM?

2) Anyone know exactly what moule this card uses - Mandrake Control Centre wasn't all that helpful

3) I know have two CD drives (one CD-Writer and one DVD) - where are these likely to be located in /dev?

Cheers

I reckon anyone wanting to install gentoo will find this thread a bit of a goldmine :wink:

i can answer #3 and part of #1:

1) it's not nvidia, you are correct. as I don't have an ATI card, I know nothing else :)

3) at first you are likely to find your cdrom/dvd as /dev/hdc /dev/hdd (or maybe /dev/hdb and /dev/hdc-depends on your setup). it'll take a tad bit of work to get your cd-writer working... this post should help: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=2...ighlight=burner once you get that working your cd-writer will then be /dev/scsi/something (can't remember)

you mean how to you enable so you can use it when you start using the new kernel?

if you look under USB support, there should be some stuff in there for input and keyboard/mouse support...(i saw it once but can't remember now)

Not really sure if I need to bother with this or not - Mandrake identified my card as needing the r128 module. I can't find anything in menuconfig to build this module, nor anywhere to download it.

My card is an ATI Rage 128. I can start X without any problems, but I want to, at some point, get DRM going s othat I can have decent 3D acceleration.

My questions are:

1) Do I need to worry about this? - X at least works

2) Does anyone know what to enable in the kernel config to get it all up and running?

I have tried googling but not really found much of help

Thanks - the gentoo 3D guide says to forget the DRM option in the kernel config as DRM will provide it's own when I emerge it - so does this actually mean that I don't need to worry about this?

I suspect the answer is yes, but confirmation would make me feel a whole lot easier :D

Guest Page 6

I can't really say, I don't use accelerated graphics that much. When I was playing around with ATI DRI, (or was it my nvidia drivers... or Gatos for the ATI - I forget) -- anyway, one of them specifically said not to use the X DRM. I just have them loaded in X so I can run celestia every once in a while.