Newbie needing your help, please!

Guest JustinOb

Guest JustinOb

:wall: Well im a noob to start off. I'm using Windows Vista and i am on an HP Pavillion dv6000 brand spanking new. About two days ago i downloaded PHLAK (Proffesional Hacking Linux Assault Kit) i think anyways :mellow: and well i put it On a CD and began using it while butting my computer. Everything works perfect exepct for well 1. it is very conplicated so if anyone is willing to teach me what i need to know one on one that would be appreciated. and well 2. which is the most important is that firefox web browser is not working. after the page opens i enter a URL and a message comes up saying "the page (what i entered) could not load. please check your internet connections. or something like that anyways. it is not working i have read every post on this site and others on how to fix it and have tried many different things but none seem to work. I am also running on a Genuine Intel® CPU T2080 @ 1.73GHZ Dont know if it matters. I am also not on dial up i am on high speed located in ontario, canada with Um.... Bell Canada. It is a SIEMENS SpeedStream 4200 Modem. Dont know if any of this helps but if someone could please give me some info on how to fix this and or help me one on one with understanding and using PHLAK. Thank you so much ! :D

[Moved from Hardware - arctic. Welcome aboard :)]

Browsing problems with Firefox: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=30815

I don't know your level of computer literateness, but PHLAK is definitely not designed for newcomers but for very experienced users.

PHLAK was created to become the only tool security professionals would need to perform security analysis, penetration testing, forensics, and security auditing.

If you want to start with Linux, better give Mandriva ONE or PCLinuxOS a try.

I Understand this is a bit random lol. I am currently very new at all this Linux stuff. I Dont know if you can help me but i am looking and interested a lot in PHALF. Well mostly on only one thing which is on how to deploy and work a keylogger. Do you know anything about this? If so is it possible you can message me back and we can talk more about it. If you can help me and it works succesfully with no problems i am even willing to re-pay you for your help. I Am willing to transfer you 100$ Canadian VIA Paypal. Let me know if you can help thanks.
Sorry, I have no clue about keyloggers and have never even heard of PHALF (or even PHLAK). Arctic's advice to try a more beginner-friendly live CD first is good though. :thumbs:

I'd have to say this is attempt at cracking systems by logging people's information. We don't condone crackers, especially since it seems you want to record information by using a keylogger and not for the real reason of using PHLAK which is for security auditing.

As a follow up note to what has already been said, we are not a forum that encourages any illegal activity in any country. Linux, an excellent operating system, is neither made nor intended for such things. The fact that illegal activity happens is obvious, but we will not support it here, ever. Monitoring the security of a network is not the same as getting where one does not belong. You may as well be asking how to best burglarize a house.

You won't find an answer for that here, either. If that is your intent, we will close the thread. ;)

MUB Board Administrators/Moderators

I just did some googling on Phlak and it appears that one of its main purposes is to detect rootkits and not to install them. It seems to have lots of other security testing features as well. It is run from a Live CD and is NOT recommended to be installed since it is meant to be apart from what is being analysed.

I think that some conclusion jumping may have been made, or not.

The inappropriate approach may have been the actions of an enthusiastic novice wanting to do his best for his new Linux machine.

We need to be careful but not automatically believe the worst.

Cheers. John.

I have used phlak sporadically in the past, and I ought to say its really good for BOTH planting and removing rootkits. But since I am neither an expert on it, or have time to offer support for using it, and apparently noone has, since the distribution has been discontinued long ago, you will need to search for something else (since you don't seem familiar even about setting an internet connection from the CLI).

Edited by scarecrow