KDE 4.0.1 is There For You

dexter11

While the world is still recovering from the work on KDE 4.0.0, we are ready to announce the release of KDE 4.0.1, the first bug fix update of the KDE 4.0 desktop. KDE 4.0.1 contains numerous bugfixes such as stability improvements, performance improvements and, as in every point release, updated translations for most components. Lots of work has been put into shared components making the life of most applications easier. Particularly striking is also the high number of bugfixes in KHTML. Have a look at the change log for a more detailed, if maybe not 100% complete list of improvements. KDE 4.0.1 is already translated into 48 languages with more coming soon.

Read the rest here. KDE 4.0.1 can be downloaded from these mirrors.

Just update your Cooker repos, and wait... it will be there, sooner rather than later.

I don't have/use cooker repositories. Could you point me in the right direction on how to do that? Or what other suggestions might anyone have? Sounds like I just need to be patient either way.

So, KDE4 is (AFAIK) available only in Cooker, from Mandriva packagers. Where did you get it from? Installed from source, or you used the MDE binaries?

If you got them say HERE then have in mind that they use some non-2008.0 packages, which may (or may not) harm your system...

If you want to try 4.0.1 under 2008.0 then the best idea seems waiting for the MDE packages.

Edited by scarecrow

Under the releases of 4.0.0, there were RPM packages for Mandriva 2008. Here is an example: http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/kde/stable/4.0....08.0/RPMS/i586/

I just added that to my Repos, and installed kdebase4 and kdebase4-workspace. But now, the releases only show suse and src for 4.0.1

If you see Suse then obviously you did NOT download Mandriva rpms.

Just because they were called rpms does not mean that they were Mandriva. RedHat/Fedora also use rpms since they originated the format. Different OSs make their own versions of rpms. Your next best move is to delete those packages and start again but this time using Mandriva packages.

I see you are new to Linux and I think it a little unwise to be experimenting with new untried applications before you really know the Mandriva mode of doing things.

Cheers. John.

John, these are the KDE repos, not Mandrivas, and they do hold both SuSE and Mandriva packages. The link passed by penguin geek points to the same repo as my link above (maybe different mirror, but same repo).

Apparently the guy who is packing Mandriva packages there has not finished yet, or has signed off. And anyway, what I said above about these repos still exist... better not use these packages, unless you don't mind borking your system a wee bit.

If you see Suse then obviously you did NOT download Mandriva rpms.

You are misunderstanding. I DID download the Mandriva 2008 RPMs, check the link I posted. It's quite clear.

I see you are new to Linux and I think it a little unwise to be experimenting with new untried applications before you really know the Mandriva mode of doing things.

No I am not new to Linux, I have been using Linux for many a years. I am a moderator in the LUG on Google Groups. I have three Linux machines running at home, and I maintain a Unix firewall at work. I am just new to Mandrivausers.org, since this the the first question/issue I've needed specialized Mandriva help.

Apparently the guy who is packing Mandriva packages there has not finished yet, or has signed off. And anyway, what I said above about these repos still exist... better not use these packages, unless you don't mind borking your system a wee bit.

So, KDE4 is (AFAIK) available only in Cooker, from Mandriva packagers. Where did you get it from? Installed from source, or you used the MDE binaries?

If you got them say HERE then have in mind that they use some non-2008.0 packages, which may (or may not) harm your system...

If you want to try 4.0.1 under 2008.0 then the best idea seems waiting for the MDE packages.

You are probably correct, I am sure it is just a matter of time before someone creates the RPMs. I guess I can always compile from source, but RPMs are so much easier. Does anyone have suggestions on how to easily compile/install all the source packages? I suppose I could just create a script that compiles each tarball.

Yes, it looks like the link I used is one of the mirrors. I don't understand where you have the idea that there are some non-2008.0 packages, as they all state mdv2008.0.i586.rpm at the end.

In any case, KDE 4.0.0 runs fine on my machine, but as I have seen on several blogs, and web pages, it's not complete, and still needs work. I just want to keep up with the releases, because KDE 4 has some awesome potential. I do appreciate all your help and comments on my issue.

I suggest you to wait until somebody makes the RPMs for you. Most likely the MDE guys Thac and Ze They already have their own KDE 4 packages. Most likely they will make 4.0.1. too.

The Mandriva packages you can find on ftp.kde.org were actually built by a Mandriva developer. But building the freshest KDE 4 packages is obviously not a priority. Testing Mandriva 2008.1 is.

Anyway as things stand now I rather look at KDE4 on a live CD not by installing it onto my system. But that's just my personal opinion.

Penguin Geek, the KDE 4.X packages themselves are OK. But they depend on other packages, which do not exist on the official Mandriva 2008.0 repos.

Using Thac and Ze, whenever they are ready sounds more sensible, because they also provide the missing dependencies.

That's understandable. Thanks for the heads up on it. As I know 2008.1 will not have the latest KDE bundled and enabled by default, I can't wait until Mandriva 2009, as I think that would be the best time to fully migrate to KDE 4. I am also interested to see what 4.1 has to offer, since everyone is saying 4.0.x is still in development stages. My personal feelings, it should have never been released from Beta.