A Cheap External 56k modem for linux

pmpatrick

I wasn't offended....my smiley in my last post didn't come out like I wanted. :wink:

Hopefully someone can give you a good response, because if it's a decent modem, then that sure is an excellent price. It is even cheaper than alot of 28k ext. modems I've seen.

Compgeeks usually sell products really cheap. It's because most of the products they sell are usually either overstock of old technology (like this modem, I mean.. who look for an external modem anymore in the world of windows) or second hand stuffs. I think they used sell the ole' Soundblaster 16 ISA version long after Live! has become the soundblaster's defacto standard for sound. They are good company if you know what they are, basically a liquidator company. But if you come in expecting high quality products, you are out of luck. Anyway, I have ordered from them before and got good results, but your mileage may vary. Just don't expect for tech support, costumer service and stuffs like that.

Guest JaseP

I agree with DragonMage here. This is probably an over-stock item that didn't sell well because of not being a name brand. Doesn't matter. A cheap no-name will work just as well as a name brand based on the same chipset.

My external was $45. It included cables and everything. Runs like a charm.

If you want rediculously cheap, check out hhttp://www.pcpartusa.com/shop/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

An internal HARDWAR CONTROLLED modem for only $9.95 + shipping and their shipping is reasonable. I just bought one of their 400watt power supplies for $10.50. It's due to arrive in a couple days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Of course, the drawback to an internal is the tty is funky, but it shouldn't take too long to fugure out and harddrake should reccognize it.