Firefox spell checker

viking777

Can anybody help me with this little problem?

Whenever I type into a web page or any other such text entry window, such as I am doing here, Firefox very kindly underlines every word that I spell wrongly. Unfortunately it absolutely refuses to tell me what my spelling error is. As I understand it when you click on the underlined word it is supposed to come up with a list of alternative spellings for that word - I never get this. I have the correct dictionary installed, but it never works.

I also have 2 other Linux distros with 2 other versions of Firefox and it doesn't work on those either. All three Firefox versions are version 2 or above.

Is it just me or are others afflicted with this problem and is there any way to cure it?

Go into Tools -> Options and then to the Advanced section and under the "General" tab you should see Languages at the bottom with a button that says "Choose", click this and in the window that is opened up make sure that the proper language is selected. Chances are this is not set to whatever language you prefer (I assume English), and so it will underline every word since they are not part of whatever language is selected.

Let us know if the proper language is selected...we'll have to dig a bit deeper then, but this is the most likely source of the problem.

Guest dennis.h
As I understand it when you click on the underlined word it is supposed to come up with a list of alternative spellings for that word - I never get this.

It's right-click. Spelling suggestions and an option to add the word to your personal dictionary are at the top of the right-click context menu.

I though it was underlining every word you wrote (as if they were all spelled incorrectly).
yeah, I'm pretty sure you understood correctly. The problem is, that since Mandriva 2008, Firefox seems to choose a language more or less at random. There have been posts about it here somewhere. For me the live CDs for 2008.0 and 2008.1 always choose Portuguese for some reason. But a right-click in the text field lets you select the language and from then on it should be ok.

Hello John. The thing is Dexter may well be right on his computer but he isn't right when it comes to mine. Right clicking the underlined word does not give me any such menu options the only options I get when I right click an underlined word are - Undo, Select All, Properties, Spell check this field (which is already ticked), Languages (which is already selected to English/UK), No Script (which is set to allow for mandrivausers.org), and Adblock Image. None of these are much use for telling me the correct spelling.

Thanks anyway. It's not a big deal, when I went to school if you couldn't spell you got a ruler smacked across the palm of your hand so I learnt it fairly well!!

It's not a big deal, when I went to school if you couldn't spell you got a ruler smacked across the palm of your hand so I learnt it fairly well!!

:lol2:

I think they should still do it, spelling seems to have deteriorated somewhat since the ruler smacking stopped :o

Too much reliance on auto-spellcheck and all that stuff Word/OpenOffice/etc/etc has nowadays. Seems they just have a rough idea, and then let the rest get sorted by the application. I usually disable all that stuff, especially the underlining, etc.

Whilst I am also from the era when the ruler ruled I find the spell checker quite useful as it is very easy to transcribe a couple of letters and not notice it. At least the spell checker highlights the fact. I still re-read any posting as spell checkers and such don't always get it right especially when it comes to things to and too. So many people get these wrong. :)

And I still had a mistake.

Edited by SilverSurfer60